PDA

View Full Version : 10% wear & tear

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
13-04-2011, 08:15 PM
so smarty pants

I work from another cm's house. we share the purchase of toys and other resources etc. I thought i would not be able to claim 10% wear and tear as its not my house thats getting worn and torn IYSWIM.

But someone said i should because its also my toys and resources that are getting worn and torn.

suggestions anyone?

Cammie Doodle
13-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Mmm I suppose it is, but sorry don't know the correct answer, hopefully someone in the know will be along to advise

FussyElmo
13-04-2011, 08:46 PM
I thought it was wear and tear on the house not the toys and equipment. So if a highchair breaks you replace it cost goes through your books. A dining chair breaks that is covered by the wear and tear.

Hopefully someone will come along with the definate answer :)

MrAnchovy
13-04-2011, 08:47 PM
You should each be claiming your shares of the cost of toys and resources directly so that is a bit of a red herring.

It's a good point though - you don't want to let that 10% 'go to waste'. I think if you had an agreement that said that you would contribute towards the cost of replacement of carpets, furniture etc in your friends house, and you did actually do that sometimes, then you would be able to justify the claim of 10%, but don't take that as gospel please, as the agreement would need to be worded carefully. It's the sort of thing the NCMA probably ought to provide.

aly
13-04-2011, 09:18 PM
This is a good thread for keeping an eye on, not come across it so much but worth finding out for future records etc.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-04-2011, 01:52 PM
As you are paying towards the house then I would have thought that you could claim the 10%.

Call the HMRC and they can help

I cannot see NCMA advising on this but you never know.

If you are a member of MM then they have accountants on hand to answer questions relating to tax

MrAnchovy
14-04-2011, 04:46 PM
As you are paying towards the house then I would have thought that you could claim the 10%.

You can claim the whole of the amounts you pay towards the house so that has no bearing on the 10%, although the other CM must declare this as income of course in any case.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
14-04-2011, 08:12 PM
thanks for all the advice guys