PDA

View Full Version : help what should i do?

foxy lady
25-04-2008, 12:26 PM
here we go with my problem.
i had a lady come around to see me a few weeks ago. she wanted a place for september for her little boy who will be 9 months old. for 3 days a week.
i have the space for him and if i took him on i would be full, the problem is she wanted a 7.45 start which i agreed to althought i dont really start untill 8. then on tuesday she called and said it would be a 7.30 start, my partner is really not happy about this and says i should stick to my 8am start. so i called her back yesterday to tell her that i would not be able to take him, she wasnt in so i left a message on her answerphone. she has just called me back and begged me to have him FROM 7.30 she says she will pay me an extra £10 a day for that half an hour. my parntner was adiment that i should stick to 8am as i am almost full and can pick and choose now, i really dont want to start that early as i never finish before 6pm.but i feel really bad for the lady and the money will be really good.
WHAT SHOULD I DO????
please help me to decide i said i would call her back on monday to let her know
thanks foxy

Twinkles
25-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Well it sounds like you really don't want to do it.
But I would see it as an extra £120 per month.

Sorry that hasn't helped much has it :rolleyes:

mrsbumbles
25-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Take it, take it, take it!!!!!!!!

1/2 hour is'nt that much difference!!!!!

I start at 1/2 seven and its not that bad, you'll soon get use to it :thumbsup:

sarah707
25-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Iwould say, if you are full and it will cause problems between you and your partner then it's not a good idea... you need his support.

Good luck with your decision :D

crazybones
25-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Its a hard one. I would do it personally because I need the money. :( I am up and ready anyway and my hubby has gone. I have a 7.45 drop off but it gets earlier and seems to be 7.30 now. I cant say much because its my sister:rolleyes: If you dont need to do it you will start resenting getting up that much earlier.

Splish Splosh
25-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I would do it as you never know whats around the corner, goodluck whatever you decide.:)

miss muffit
25-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I have one that starts at 7.30 3 times a week and he never gets to me until 7.45.
only you can decide what to do, have another word with your partner
by the way congratulations on your outstanding ofsted inspection, (your bigger sis told me)

Noodles
25-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I would do it for that much extra a day but at the end of the day it is no good if it doesnt fit in with your family

SimplyLucy
25-04-2008, 01:04 PM
If you do take it, make sure the £10 a day extra is written into the contract, just so she can't go back on her word!

You'll need the full support of your partner, is he not tempted by the £30 a week extra..........give him half for a few pints!

I start at 6.30am 5 days a week inc bank holidays.........I'm MAD! :happy banana:

HilaryT
25-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I should ask your partner why he doesn't want a 7.30 start. It's not every day, and there will be times when he doesn't come at all.

Several of mine are supposed to come at 7.30 but often don't - just if you do take the extra payment make sure she has to pay it whether the child comes that day or not!

Good luck
Hilary

miffy
25-04-2008, 03:19 PM
You sound as though you don't want that early a start and your partner definitely doesn't want you to so it may cause friction with him and you may come to resent starting that early

The money is good but if you are not sure then don't do it

Why not compromise with a month's trial and see how it goes then if it really doesn't suit you needn't carry it on

miffy xx

Kelly
25-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I start at 7.30 every day. I would be like you and very tempted to take this LO but £30 a week is not worth it if its going to cause hassle between you and your other half. My husband thinks I start to early, but some of my parents are in the Army and start work at 7.45 so it is difficult to say no.

If you can cope with always being told 'I told you not to do it' when your feeling tired/unwell/wanting a lie in/when they arrive at 7.20 then go for it!

Kelly

littlewonders
25-04-2008, 03:39 PM
:thumbsup: Go for it! It would give you maximum earnings and it is only half hour earlier than you want to start and only 3 days a week.

angeldelight
25-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Difficult

But........

I had a child who started earlier than my normal start a few weeks ago - my hubby did not want me to do it either

But I did

He turned out to be a crying child - drove me crazy and the earlier starts made me more tired

So I had to end the contract not long after

Thing is say if you do it and this child turns out to be the same? Or worse arrives 10 min earlier than contracted time every day or something

You sound like you are happy with the hours that you work now anyway

So I think you should not do it

Money is not everything

Good luck whatever you decide I am sure the parent will find someone else

Angel xx

jmoff
25-04-2008, 04:12 PM
I start at 7.30am 4x/week. Its ok as long as I am organised but I would be up anyway as I have a 18mnth old but then I finish at 5pm most days.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I would probably do it as I always feel bad and dont want to let people down.

Did you like the child?

Good uck with your decision.
Jana x

ruby
25-04-2008, 04:16 PM
we start at 7.30 every day so it wouldn't be a problem for us
but saying that i agree if its going to cause problems with you and your partner then i would think seriously about taking the child

maybe as some else said do a month trial

best of luck with what ever you decide

cathy

wendywu
25-04-2008, 04:17 PM
If you dont do it, make the reason because YOU dont want to do it. I would start at 7.30 if i had to but not before that time. But i must admit i would not, not do just because my other half did not want me to.

Sit down and discuss it with him, maybe put the extra money towards a nice treat for both of you. A weekend away maybe.:)

susi513
25-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm starting at 7:30 at the moment and I have started at 6:30. But I know what works for me isn't going to suit everyone else. I can play with mindee in playroom and my family have privacy in kitchen & lounge to sort themselves out for school & work. So it doesn't really affect them unless I get a screamer.

But for childminders who have to sort out breakfasts/packed lunches/school bags for their own children or who have a hubby/partner who fancies a legover I mean appreciates quality conversation over a quiet cuppa and breakfast its a different matter. Childminder's families have to put up with a lot of c**p - calls from parents at all hours, parents who plonk themselves on settee when hubby's program is about to start ... sure we could fill a book on that. So sometimes you have to put your family first to keep the balance and avoid resentment building up.

If you really don't want to start before 8 then don't be pressured into it. Much easier to say than to do but just say sorry, no can't do it. Its easier to say no now than to give someone notice later on. They have plenty of time between now and September to keep looking for someone else.

If you might be willing and its just your partner's viewpoint that's stopping you then I guess it all boils down to their reasons and whether you agree with them or not. As I said, sometimes you have to put your family first. Or come to some sort of compromise - if you could do 1 day a week and (assuming its a 2 parent family) is there any possibility the parents might be able to start and finish later one day a week each?

susi513
25-04-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't know why I put that in. Can't remember the last time dh & I had a quality cuppa in the morning lol.

Alibali
25-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I think this is something only you can decide, no amount of money is enough if it causes upset in you family life. I think most of us do this job so we are here for our families, and if it ends up affecting your relationship then I personally wouldn't do it. Weigh up pros and cons and take it from there.

Good luck on whatever you decide and keep us posted.

Ali xx

crazybones
25-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know why I put that in. Can't remember the last time dh & I had a quality cuppa in the morning lol.

But can you remember the legover:ROFL1:

flora
25-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I would do it as I am up with the lark anyway.

If it is gonna cause trouble between you and your partner, maybe not. Is it just the long hours he is worried about or something else??

Would he agree to the months trial??? May not be as bad as he thinks?

Best of luck, what ever you decide xx

wendywu
26-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Well what about a leg over susi, can you remember the last time you had one of those.:laughing:

I think it has to be a family discussion though, the hours not the leg over.:blush: My two girls would rather have the 4 weeks expensive holidays abroad a year, the driving lessons and in my elder daughter case a car. Hubby moans (whats new ) but since he cannot afford to fund the rather nice life style we have settled into in our twilight years he has to put up or shut up.! He does not i notice refuse the Helicopter ride over London for our Wedding Anniversary, or dinner at the Ritz for his birthday:panic:

Dont get me wrong 15 years ago i had a new baby, a new dilapidated house and a husband who was a carpenter in the middle of a building recession, times were hard very hard. I swore never again would i worrying about money.

I child mind 50 hours a week and work for a friends business at least 3 evenings from home. But i like being able to take my girls around the world show them places and life. To be able to go out without worring about the cost. And i have always taken my children to and from school and that means a lot to me.

I always say to DH that i could be a nurse or any of the other jobs that work shifts, weekends, bank holidays or even christmas day, or even fly and be away for days at a time. HE DONT DO THAT BAD!!!!!!:D

emmadines
26-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I start at 7.30 every day. I would be like you and very tempted to take this LO but £30 a week is not worth it if its going to cause hassle between you and your other half. My husband thinks I start to early, but some of my parents are in the Army and start work at 7.45 so it is difficult to say no.

If you can cope with always being told 'I told you not to do it' when your feeling tired/unwell/wanting a lie in/when they arrive at 7.20 then go for it!

Kelly

I agree but I cant see 30 mns being that much of an issue IMO! but its ur chioce!

xx

wendywu
26-04-2008, 09:41 AM
At £120 a month, 3 months would you and DH a weekend in a 5* hotel (nice) 6 months would get you at least a long weekend in the sun abroad (even nicer) and save it for a year £1440 you could pay for a fair part of the family two week summer holiday abroad ( nice to look forward to ). :)

If you want to do it and its his reaction that it bothering you, put it to him in this way. If the money just gets lost in the pot then maybe i can see his point, but if it is put to a use that is a treat you would not other wise have then i cannot see how he could complain to much. Especially when he is in his white speedos on the beach sipping his cocktail, with you in your skimpy bikini rubbing his taut body with oil!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

Twinkles
26-04-2008, 09:47 AM
At £120 a month, 3 months would you and DH a weekend in a 5* hotel (nice) 6 months would get you at least a long weekend in the sun abroad (even nicer) and save it for a year £1440 you could pay for a fair part of the family two week summer holiday abroad ( nice to look forward to ). :)

If you want to do it and its his reaction that it bothering you, put it to him in this way. If the money just gets lost in the pot then maybe i can see his point, but if it is put to a use that is a treat you would not other wise have then i cannot see how he could complain to much. Especially when he is in his white speedos on the beach sipping his cocktail, with you in your skimpy bikini rubbing his taut body with oil!!!!!!!!! :clapping:

Calm down wendy !! I think you may need a cold shower :laughing:

nannan
26-04-2008, 10:38 PM
as my hubby keeps reminding me 'it's he's home also', if he is really adamant is it worth upseting him, is the extra £30 a week really worth the upset, it is up to you, personally I would probably do it and be like Angel and end up with a screamer, where hubby would get his own back and tell me its my own fault, probably no help to you but got with what you feel is right for you.

sarahcoutts21
27-04-2008, 09:18 PM
i start at seven eveyday the earliest i have a child is quarter past seven and i have one all day from 7:15 to 4:30 he has twos twice a week the latest srat i have is 8:15 the other usually here by 7:45! my hubby is gone by seven so he never sees the children unless off work ill or on holiday or finishes early due to bad weather! i would seriously consider it and soeak with other half again as money aint everything