PDA

View Full Version : Babies and 'mouthing'

Joda
13-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Or rather lack of it! I've recently started looking after a 9 month old baby who is able to pick toys etc up, hold them and transfer from hand to hand but does not put anything in her mouth which means she is not interested in finger foods, attempting to feed herself etc.
I wonder if anyone had any advice about how to encourage her to feed herself (finger food is always offered at meal times and she can hold a spoon but just won't put anything in her mouth)
Also, should I be asking mum to mention it as a concern to the Health Visitor next time she see's her?

Thanks!

babs
13-04-2011, 10:33 AM
my great niece didnt put toys in her mouth at all but thats cus from little she use to be sick everywhere and niece use to pull hand out, but she had no problem when it came to food, ive got lo at the moment whos nearly 15 months old and wont feed her self unless its round in shape strange i know.. i would just keep putting food on a plate or tray when your feeding they will pick up or maybe give it to them in hand and lift hand towards mouth etc.. do you have any other children eating at same time as one lo i have wont eat hardly anything if others aren't here but wolfs it down when they are coping all time

nicoleon
13-04-2011, 12:17 PM
what sort of finger food are you offering? My DD was eating finger food from 5 months old (she had teeth already) but stopped around 9 months when some more teeth grew and it really hurt her to eat hard ish things. I was really worried because she stopped eating pretty much all veg at that time but it was just a phase. Also, what does mum offer at home? Some people follow the jars route all the way and little ones only get introduced to bigger food very slowly. I don't think it is anything to worry about, just different baby - different development.