PDA

View Full Version : lap belts

mushpea
13-04-2011, 09:04 AM
I have a 51reg zafira and the middle seat has only got a lap belt , i have been looking in to having this changed to a full seat belt but am unsure wether to do so or not,,, has anyone changed their lap belt to a 3 point belt? if so did it change the cost of your insurance?
at the moment my 12yrold daughter goes on it if absoultly neccasery but I try to avoid going out if we have to use it as I am not keen on the fact that she would bend forward quicly in an accident hurting her back. my only other option is to take out the three seats accross the middle and fit three different seats with a full seat belt but again not sure if this is possible or if it has been done before.

nicoleon
13-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Found this info on yahoo

It is generally not possible to replace the centre lap belt with a 3-point (lap and shoulder) belt. This is because the car will probably not have been designed with a mounting point for the upper end of the shoulder belt. A seatbelt has to take a very high load in the event of an accident (the tests required during vehicle development generally apply enough force via the belt to distort the body shell beyond repair), so the upper mounting point has to be included during the design stage of the vehicle.

The only case where it may be possible to replace the lap belt with a 3-point belt is where the car was originally available with a 3-point belt as an option (e.g. 1999 - 2005 Fiat Punto). However the rear seats may be different on the version with 3-point belts (in the case of the Punto they include an upper guide for the centre belt), so these may also need to be changed, as may other parts of interior trim.

So I think, it's a new seat unfortunately. If that is available...

amirose
13-04-2011, 01:35 PM
I have a Vauxhall Zafira too and I have the Britax Prince car seat fitted in the middle row. The car seat fits with a lap belt so I have a proper car seat (0-4 years) with 5 point harness that I am more then happy to use. It fits very solidly too.
I have actually got three car seats across the middle row for the younger children and use the two rear seats for the older children :thumbsup:

mushpea
13-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I have a Vauxhall Zafira too and I have the Britax Prince car seat fitted in the middle row. The car seat fits with a lap belt so I have a proper car seat (0-4 years) with 5 point harness that I am more then happy to use. It fits very solidly too.
I have actually got three car seats across the middle row for the younger children and use the two rear seats for the older children :thumbsup:

I had a renasonce from britax but it broke when i dropped it! this fitted on the lap belt,, but i dont use this in the holiday,,, I have term time only and holiday only children and in the holidays I end up mainly with children who are big enough to go on booster seats so this wouldnt work but thanks anyway