PDA

View Full Version : Tricky question???

hollyberry
13-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Hi there. I think - well I hope! - that I'm getting to the point nearly where I can start putting word out that I've got spaces as my CRB has just come through and hopefully Ofsted pre-reg visit won't be too long.

I'm not sure how to handle/work the following. Now my ideal (probably pie in the sky I know!!) would of course to have, say, 3 under 5s 5 days a week full time. What really concerns me is accepting a mindee who's only part time, and then full time mindees coming along and I have to refuse their business because I've used my numbers up on a mindee who's only part time or one day a week or whatever.

So my question is to do with how you go about handling that - is it acceptable to say to a parent yes I'll happily take on your child's part time requirements but if I get a full timer who wants to book I would have to give notice????? I'm sort of panicking about getting enough income in order to live - but also of course don't want for a minute to mess anyone around or treat a parent/child in a way that they would feel isn't fair or appropriate... how do other people work with this situation - I need mindees and fully understand I might have to fit a few in with odd hours/odd days and so on - but for my own income purposes I've also got to bear in mind that ideally I do need the 3 full timers if I possibly can get them (dream, dream, dream, dream, dream, dreaaaam!!). Help? :panic: :o

Penny1959
13-04-2011, 04:04 AM
Personally I would never tell a parent that I would give notice in preference for a child who needed more hours - it is not professional or good for the child to start to make relationships and then have to move childminder just for financial reasons.

However I fully understand where you are coming from - having given up a well paid job last year to re register as a childminder.

Full time children are quite rare these days - and there is the problem of if one leaves it could be a third of your income disappearing at once.

There are more part time opportunities - and you can earn more - if the hours slot together without too many gaps.

When I started I decided that one of my places would be available to whoever came along first - just to get started - whatever the hours. I think it is easier to get more children on board once you have the first one.

The other two places I was more fussy wanting to ensure I did not take on hours that would prevent me from taking on more children and thus limiting my income.

My first mindee was for a mum who is a agency nurse - hours all over the place and outside normal 'office' hours - however she did agree to pay £50 mim a week. This mindee is still with me

Second one was full time under 5 and school age sibling - these parents wanted term time only but with flexibility in holidays - only stayed 3 months.

Third one was 2 full days a week - stayed 4 months

Now I have taken on an assitant and have 4 full timers and 4 part timers - and have 6 under fives every day (orginal first one slotting in where there are spaces - plus still doing outside pffice hours) - and coming up to end of first year of childminding (this time round)

What I am saying is that even if you do take on the ideal child (hours / pay wise) they may not stay that long, also what seems like a temporary contract can turn into a long term thing. You just never know with childminding.

Think it through carefully - your income is important but so is the emotional development of the children and having opportunities to build secure attachments.

Good Luck

Penny :)

mama2three
13-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Great advioce from Penny already , My first mindee was 10-2 , 3 days a week but he is now full time after mum went back to university. Of around 10 local minders I am the only to have full timers , I have 2 - there are others who earn far more than me through slotting together part timers. The negative of childminding is the uncertainty , what looks like an amazing contract can change in flash , especially with todays uncertain economy.
Good Luck in getting started and fingers crossed some great families come along for you.

caz3007
13-04-2011, 06:15 AM
In all the years I have been minding, I have only ever had one enquiry for full time and I chose not to take it. I mind lots part time and most of my children have been with me long term. Have had some for a year, but have always known that at the beginning....filled in as grandma was having treatment for cancer, and another cos mum was doing a course.

I like slotting in part timers and never had a problem, but there again I dont want or need to be full. I treasure my Tuesdays off and as I have a LO who is here 4 days, I wont fill my Tuesdays at the moment.

I certainly wouldnt work on the theory of giving notice if a full timer came along. The way things are at the moment, part timers are better, at least if they stop for whatever reason, you arent losing a huge chunk of your income

muffins
13-04-2011, 07:05 AM
I've never had a full timer either, most I've had is 2 for 4 full days, I've always had lots of part timers & in regards to income as others have said it can work out for the best!

Never never never would I give notice to fit in another child, very unprofessional & not fair on parent or child IMHO!

hollyberry
13-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks very much everyone that's really helped me a lot. I've already thought about the negatives of full timers ie if one leaves your income is down by a large chunk and wasn't comfortable with thinking about any ideas of not continuing a placement in favour of a full timer. As you all so rightly say, a full timer will not necessarily be a long timer as well. So that's really helped me to focus on how I will be going about looking for mindees in hopefully the next few weeks when I hope I can get going with the process of advertising etc.