PDA

View Full Version : Communication books overhaul!

Monkey26
12-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi all,

I've decided to get rid of the children's daily communication books as i simply can't keep up with them - i find i'm spending the whole afternoon writing or the books end up in a pile on the dining table at the end of the week unwritten!

I have attached a form which i am planning on using - each child will have an A5 clipboard on their peg which these forms will be clipped on to, then at the end of the week i can put them in the children's folders... What do you think? Am i, in the long run, giving myself more or less paperwork?! Does the form have enough or too much information in it?!

angeldelight
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
I think whatever you find suits you then do that

There is no right or wrong way

I did try using sheets - I have some nice colourful ones if you want to message me and I will mail them to you

Your sheets are lovely though

I did find when I was using the sheets I was using lots of ink printing them out all the time its surprising how many you need in a week if you have more than a few children

I find a note book cheaper and sometimes just a few lines is fine on days when its really hectic

Hope the sheets work for you

Angel xx

Monkey26
13-04-2011, 06:40 AM
Ooooh yes please Angel if you don't mind emailing me a copy.
As i only work 3 days i was going to try and fit 3 days onto one A4 page but i couldn't without it being tiny and leaving me very little writing room...
I am worried about the ink thing yes but am hoping that a pre written sheet will curb how much i write lol xx

angeldelight
13-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Ooooh yes please Angel if you don't mind emailing me a copy.
As i only work 3 days i was going to try and fit 3 days onto one A4 page but i couldn't without it being tiny and leaving me very little writing room...
I am worried about the ink thing yes but am hoping that a pre written sheet will curb how much i write lol xx

Can you private message me your email and I will send something by email later

Angel xx

Monkey26
13-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Ive decided to add a toileting section as most babe's are still in nappies, there are also a couple that are potty training so parent's still want to know times etc whilst everyone gets their heads around potty training :)
The thing is... i have put a column for wet which is fine, but for the no. 2's do i write soiled or dirty?! Unsure of the correct terminology LOL, esp for those that are going on a toilet/potty?!
What a random post! x

Polly2
13-04-2011, 02:42 PM
That looks like my daily sheets which I put in children's bags each day. I gave parents the option of sheets or books - only 1 parent wanted the book and I find I write loads in it which takes up more time :rolleyes:

I prefer sheets!

btw I use the word 'soiled' in fact I put w/s and just circle which one!

angeldelight
13-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Sent them to you Jo

Angel xx

babs
13-04-2011, 03:47 PM
i spoke to parents about books as i found i was repeating myself telling them and writing in book so now i dont do a daily diary at all as they have all opted out of having one less paper work for me . i just tell them what they have eatten, how much , nappies quick run down of day etc when they pick up. i find it much easier as i dont have time in day always to much going on.

Waveawand
22-05-2011, 05:39 PM
I use sheets, and have a set of boxes with 6 areas to cross reference the activities done by the child too...:)

hollyoaksmad
22-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I use daily diary books still and photocopy them for evidence in case of anything as i had an issue beforex

Chell
22-05-2011, 08:37 PM
I've heard others say that diaries take ages to write but I don't find they do.

I tend to leave the open diary (note book) on the kitchen work top along with a pen. If the child has a meal or snack then I write down what they've had at what time. I also write nappy change and put (poo) beside it if necessary. For me, that is just covering myself if they ever said so and so had bad nappy rash did you change them or something. I feel happy doing this.

I then write a note about where we've been/what we've done/anything significant or funny that they come out with. When the diary is full I take it an slip it in a poly pocket in their file.

buildingblocks
02-06-2011, 04:33 PM
jojo I use something similar to yours then use my pogo to add two photos on the back will try attaching it but never done it before so fingers crossed

Drat will try again helps if I actually upload it

Chimps Childminding
02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
jojo I use something similar to yours then use my pogo to add two photos on the back will try attaching it but never done it before so fingers crossed

Drat will try again helps if I actually upload it

That looks really good!!! However, I am getting through loads of ink as it is and the ink for my printer is really expensive, so I think I will have to stick to writing in a notebook.

I only do daily diaries for babies to let mum know feeds, nappy changes, sleeps etc. once they get to about a year old and are more or less having breakfast, dinner and tea I then ask parents if they want to carry on with them. Having said that I have only just started my second diary and the first parent never wrote a comment the whole 12 months or so I was doing it :(