PDA

View Full Version : Changing days

dollydally
12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi all

One of my mums has asked if she can change her childminding day for a week in May (from a tues/weds to a friday) and for a week in August (for a tues/weds for a Friday). I'm a pretty soft touch and have considered it even though I don't want to. I'll have two after schoolies on those days plus my own two and don't really want six, especially as one of hers is quite hard work. Does anyone else chop and change their days or should i say to her to keep it as normal but i'll do it and charge an extra day? x

breezy
12-04-2011, 07:21 PM
It really is up to you, if you dont want to just say no sorry i'm too busy on Fridays. I do try and be flexible BUT it has to suit me too!

Pixie dust
12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
It depends on you really. I have changed days round before for a parent and not charged any different but I know a lot of you out there would charge the normal days plus extra for the different day.

miffy
12-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I would only do it if they were prepared to pay the extra day - I've changed days for parents in the past and it can end up being a real pain in the b*m so now I only do it if they pay for the extra day.

Miffy xx

dollydally
12-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks all. To be honest, i don't want to do it. one of her girls is a real pain and I don't want to end my week like that, I like to get it out of the way mid week... :blush: . I might try compromising with her, maybe say I can do the May change but say she has to pick them up before the school run instead of 5.30. That gives me a shorter day and I might be able to cope with that. Definitely going to say no to the August one as I don't know when I'm going to be taking holiday yet and don't want to make my life difficult by working round certain days that I've agreed to. I've decided I've got to toughen up!

miffy
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
If you don't want to do it then don't let her push you into it. She's got plenty of time to sort something else out - at the end of the day getting you to swap saves her money but there's nothing in it for you so don't feel guilty saying no!

Miffy xx

Pixie dust
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
At the end of the day it's your business it's up to you how you run it. You are your own boss, If you don't want to do it then just say no.

The Juggler
13-04-2011, 06:45 AM
I think if I was working anyway and had the space then I might do it. mum is planning way in advance and is not just saying, can I do it this week? on the offchance.

I think I would tell her normally that this would be an extra days' fee but you will do these 2 dates as a one off but that any other changes will be chargeable.:)

tashaleee
13-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Ive have done it in the past and occasionally do it for one of my parents now BUT only if I have the space and it suits me. My parent is fully aware that she should pay for the extra day as well as her contracted day. There are some parents I just wont swap for no matter what - they have contracted days and they do me no favours so why should I help them out (sorry got out of wrong side of bed with parent knocking on my door 10 mins early this morning when I wasnt ready :blush: )

snufflepuff
13-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I have swapped in the past but found the parent was wanting to do it more and more often. It's then quite hard to say 'I've let you swap before but from now on i'm charging for the extra day and the original contracted day' so I started saying I couldn't swap for various reasons and she stopped asking. It was especially annoying as it was always a swap to a day I didn't work so i'd lose my day off.

Chimps Childminding
13-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I don't mind swapping days around if a) I can fit them in and, b) it suits me. Sometimes it means I get an unexpected day off, but if you don't want to do it - don't!! We all try to be flexible, but that doesn't mean we have to always do what parents want :rolleyes: