PDA

View Full Version : Baby just been prescribed Epipen - what paperwork do I need in place

clorogue
12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Mindee had allergic reaction this morning to peanut butter - although I have just had my first aid training I am going to visit the nurse with mindee and mum today for a recap on giving it to him.

I have never had to do this before. What paperwork do I need in place now for using epipen. Do I suggest Mum writes me a letter detailing what happened this morning as well?

Thanks.

Many thanks

blue bear
12-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I would write it up under existing injuries and get mum to sign, you need doctor or nurse to train you to use epipen and give you something in writing to say they have done so. You also need to inform your insurance company mm/ncma

Donkey
12-04-2011, 12:20 PM
you need to call your insurance company as the different ones have different outlines for training...

if your with mm...

you will need a letter from the doctor outlining what the conditition is
(peanut allergy) what the treatment is (epipen) how to adminsiter, what training you need to administer the epipen..

you then need to get the training...

I would also fully risk assess and write a care plan..

r/a where you going to store that is easily accesible to you but not the other children.
where will you store on an outing

care plan...

detail everything about the child and the condition and think of all the 'what ifs'

what if the epipen is not effective... do you give another or call an ambulance?

you also need to find out if you can how sensitive he is to peanuts? peanuts can be in most things...

is it practical to make your setting a peanut free zone?
you need to gain consent from this parent to talk to other parents as they need to be aware not to send peanut products, you need to talk to play groups/toddler groups about your mindee having a peanut allergy...

i know its hard dealing with an allergy, were querying if one of mine has a chocolate allergy but she just gets a rash on her face nothing like anaphalyxis!!

clorogue
12-04-2011, 02:08 PM
thank you so very very much. I really value your information and things are underway!

Off to the nurse now for training.

So I don't need to inform Ofsted what happened?

Many thanks

Donkey
12-04-2011, 06:14 PM
if it didnt happen in your setting then I would have said no, you dont need to inform ofsted...

however what you can do is call them to advise that your are caring for a child with a peanut allergy which may mean you need to call an ambulance worst case, and they can update your file...

I have done this with one of my LO (not for an allergy) but because I sometimes have to get parents to take her into hospital (not for an accident but ongoing illness)

youarewhatyoueat
12-04-2011, 08:34 PM
I went on epipen training, soon to be called something else as epipen is a trade name and its been sold. But the most important thing is to have the epipen in a box, it must be a childs epipen there are different doses for adults and the pen must always have with it a form detailing what must be done in an emergency, an action plan is what it was called. This will have been written by the nurse/doctor and the parent.

clorogue
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
I have written a letter to the parents today (with a copy to the doctor) and handed it to the mindees mum when I went for training with the nurse. The nurse also gave me written confirmation that I had had the training with her. This is what I included in the letter.

1. The insured must have a letter from the child’s parent/guardian providing specific consent for the insured to administer the medication.

2. The insured must have a letter from the child’s General Practitioner or consultant stating:

a. what condition the drug or medicine is for with its name
b. how and when the drug or medicine is to be given
c. what training of personnel is required, if any
d. any other relevant information

3. Training in the administration of the drug or medicine must be stipulated by the child’s general practitioner or consultant and if required, I must provide proof of such training.

The nurse told me that the doctor will reply to my letter with the above information.

With regard to the care plan, will the reply from the doctor suffice or do i have to ask for a care plan as well - would that be from the parent/doctor/nurse. Does anyone have an example care plan?

Thank you so much everyone for your input, I really appreciate it as I have never had to do this before and want everything right. I will put all the written information with the epipen in a pouch/box/envelope.

Donkey
13-04-2011, 09:09 AM
the care plan is what you write...

how you will care for the child with this condition...
what changes you need to make
how you will keep the child safe

i've had hardly any sleep because dd was up most of the night so hopefully someone else will be able to give you some more detail as my brain is fried!

clorogue
13-04-2011, 05:45 PM
the care plan is what you write...

how you will care for the child with this condition...
what changes you need to make
how you will keep the child safe

i've had hardly any sleep because dd was up most of the night so hopefully someone else will be able to give you some more detail as my brain is fried!

Hope you get a better night's sleep tonight. Thank you for all the information you have told me, really appreciate it.