PDA

View Full Version : Mindee had allergic reaction to peanuts this morning - what would you do

clorogue
12-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Mindees mum phoned and said mindee (8 months) had allergic reaction to peanut spread on toast this morning. His face all swelled up, called ambulance, breathing was OK. She got such a shock. She had a doctors appointment at 11 and then asked if all ok could she bring him around.

Would you have him in your care the day that it happened. I'll obviously wait for the doctors advice too - but am a bit worried to have him today as this is the first time it has happened.

Mookins
12-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Personally id tell Mum to wait unti shes heard what the drs have said.....Im sure she will have all sorts of tests done to see how bad the reaction is...poor little mite

xx

Ripeberry
12-04-2011, 08:28 AM
I've never given my kids anything with peanuts as i can't stand the things and worried about reactions. :(

Mookins
12-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I've never given my kids anything with peanuts as i can't stand the things and worried about reactions. :(

ive never either...knowingly...but they seem to be in everything, I remember reading a while ago about someone who had a cheesecake and died because of nuts in it....i never knew you put nuts in cheesecakes!:(

its so scary isnt it, they have warnings on everything about nuts, even on bags of nuts themselves:rolleyes:

xx

melanieabigail2004
12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't take until after she has seen the doctor - is she sure it was the peanuts??

snufflepuff
12-04-2011, 09:16 AM
I thought you shouldn't give peanut products until after 12 months anyway? Maybe thats old advice?

I'm sure he will be fine with you today. Once the reaction has gone it's gone so there should be nothing to worry about as long as you don't give him nuts later today!

The GP might make an appointment for allergy tests and there may be a little wait. My son waited 3 months for his tests. Some doctors don't like to send children for tests straight away, for whatever reason.

rickysmiths
12-04-2011, 10:29 AM
No I wouldn't have him today. I would wat the peanut out of his system. What was the parent thinking about giving an 8mth old peanut butter!! They shouldn't have that until they are at least a year old and the recommedation is to give no peanuts until over 5yrs. i think that is mainly because of the chocking risk.

rickysmiths
12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
No I wouldn't have him today. I would want the peanut out of his system. What was the parent thinking about giving an 8mth old peanut butter!!

They shouldn't have that until they are at least a year old and then recommedation is to give no peanuts until over 5yrs I think that is mainly because of the chocking risk.

Rmead
12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Peanuts are fine from 6 months (obviously not as a nut form but in butters, oils, sauces) that is the recommendation now unless there is a history of peanut allergy or skin issues like eczema.
Was he seen by the Dr? I'd be concerned about having him like others say might not be out of the system/may have other side effects later.

Kayt
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Yes, as is said above the advice now is peanut products are ok from 6 months unless there is a history of allergy in the family (but not whole peanuts becasue of the choking risk) :)

clorogue
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Thank you so much everyone. He is fine, been to doctors. It was OK to give him peanut butter at that age, like some of your posts said. I thought it was meant to be later too, but that is old advice apparently.

He will be having an eippen - just going to put a new posting up about that one.

thank you for all your support

I appreciate it so much.

Playmate
12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
peanut butter is a great source of protien, if they are going to have an allergic reation it will happen at what ever age you introduce. At least it happened with mum :D i'm sure he will be fine.

The Juggler
12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
:eek: :eek: :( poor you and him. hope you both recover from the shock.

onceinabluemoon
12-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Glad he's ok. Must have scared mum to bits!