PDA

View Full Version : childminding but from a premises rather than home

cloud9
11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi Guys,

Im looking for some advice really so any would be great!
myself and hubby operate from home currently but we'd really like to expand and get a premises to operate from.

We would still like to work under the remit of childminders, still having the freedom without the restrictions of a full nursery. Just increasing our numbers and getting our home back. Numbers would be low still i think you are allowed 2 assistants so it would probably be a max of 12?

Is this possible and does anyone know how to go about is, is there also any funding available as new places would be created.

Has anybody done this or does everyone work from home?

thank you:)

Mouse
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
The definition of a childminder is someone working on domestic premises with no more than 2 other people. If you have more than that you're classed as a childcare on domestic premises. If you're not on domestic premises you're counted as a childcare provider on non-domestic premises.

Have a look at this fact sheet:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Guide-to-registration-on-the-Early-Years-Register-childcare-provider-on-domestic-or-non-domestic-premises

As for funding, you'd have to ask your local authority if anything was available.

Andrea08
11-04-2011, 10:04 AM
no answers sorry but we were thinking this, but just for 5 mornings wk so us 3 childminders could get together in one place for group activities etc,

now we just use either one of our homes and go out to children's centre's and soft play and then bk to our own settings after lunch,

did fancy renting a hall that could be permantly set up for continual provisions etc but then its not a home from home environment...

difficult to get a happy middle..

good luck with what your planning ever thought of an extension??? xx

mufftie
11-04-2011, 10:31 AM
this is something ive also considered , but buying another house with another childminder to work from , thus getting the investment from the house aswel as it drives me nuts working at home especially as my own kids are getting a bit older id like to put the toys away for once

unfortunately ive not looked too far into it yet so dont know how it works