PDA

View Full Version : How do I employ an assistant (contract or self employed?)

DJH
09-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi. I have recently registered as a childminder as have 2 small children of my own and want to be at home with them but also bring some money in. As my youngest is 2 months and my eldest 2 years the plan was always to begin working with an assistant as soon as I set up. I cannot do this until I have enough children on my books to cover her wage (she currently gets paid £6 per hour where she works in a nursery) and I will be charging £4.25 per hour per child. I have 1 term time only child waiting to start and 1 after school child 3 days a week. I could do all of this on my own but would like another grown up to help out!

The trouble is I will be working as self employed and having set up a business before do not want to go through all of that paperwork and hasstle of registering as a business if I don't need to. I was hoping to employ my assistant on a pay per hour contract as I needed her but with the full intention of having her here full time. However if I don't have the money coming in, I can't afford for it to be going out paying her.

Really don't know what to do because until I have her registered as my assistant then I cannot have any more children here, but without any more children I cannot afford her! Also when I do take her on I don't want to get into a full employment contract as I cannot guarentee I will always have the hours and the children here for her not to mention other entitlements like paid holiday, maternity pay, sick pay etc - I wouldn't have a clue where to start and it all sounds very expensive. Perhaps I should just look for someone else on a less formal basis?

Please help!

Penny1959
09-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Hello,

Taking on an assistant does come with all the responsibilities of an employer, so it won't make any difference if full time or part time you would still need to pay her Ni, sick pay etc.

Having her as and when need her is possible but she would have to register as a self employed person - not sure what she would be but think something on the lines of agency childcare worker. However she would then be able to charge what she wants to as would be self employed and have her own costs - also she would be within her rights to charge say £10 an hour or more to cover the times she is not working or may not be available when you need her if she takes on other work so can pay her bills.

Whatever you decide you need to think it through carefully - and talk to her.

Penny :)