PDA

View Full Version : Child has gone home with scratches.

Melanyweb
08-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi all, I'm new on here. But really some advice.I got a text from a parent this morning to say little one had some scratches on their back that were quite nasty. Did I know how they might have happened. I phoned parent straight away and told them honestly I don't know. Little one didn't even cry for no apparent reason yesterday or anything. I've filled out an incident form detailing everything and had a look at the marks on little one. They do look like small marks almost like they've been grabbed under the arms or tickled too roughly. I had two other children yesterday too so I suppose if they tried to pick this one up it may have left marks. I feel like the worst cm in the world today. Is there anything else I should be doing? Contacting ofsted or ncma?
Thanks.

Pipsqueak
08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Right so you minded the child yesterday and the parent has rung you to ask where the marks have come from? what was the time span between the child going home to the parent contacting you?

So there is no proof that is happened whilst with you

You have rung mum, discussed and you have noted. That is all you can do. i would not accept that these injuries have happened at yours though but at the same time acknowledging what mum is saying to you.

could another child have done this?
did the child slip against something?

might be worth keeping a close eye

no need to report to anyone else

appleblossom
08-04-2011, 01:51 PM
This happened to me three years ago. a child (12 months old) went home and 1 hour later Dad called to ask where a scratch had come from on his back. I hadn't seen a scratch as child had been dressed all day except when changing nappy. Was your LO dressed all day? (ie. with a top on). If so it seems unlikely this happened whilst with you. I would mentally go through everything LO did throughout the day and consider if there was a time this could have happened.

As Pip says, keep a record of what has been said/done. Keep notes of any other conversations you have about the issue. That's all you can do for nnow.

Melanyweb
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Little one was dressed all day. This could have happened when the children were all playing together I mind a four year old who likes to mother the little ones but she's not rough. She's very kind with them. Parent was ok this morning when I saw them. They're a lovely family I hate the idea that they're bringing little one here and feeling she's not safe. Won't see them now over Easter and feel like it's hanging over me a bit. I guess these things happen sometimes.