View Full Version : Do I need to report to Ofsted

07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
A little one in my care today became ill just before pick up, I took his temp whilst Parents were here, it was raised & he had some parcetomol. Mum texted me to say that later he vomited & they took him to A&E where he has been diagnosed with a respiratory tract infection & is on anti-biotics. It's never happened to me before that a child has been so ill to go to A&E so i'm not sure if I need to report it anywhere. read the ofsted fact sheet on free downloads but it refers to injuries/accident & death & this is an illness, so i'm not sure? Shoudl I just maybe complete my own incident report?

07-04-2011, 10:25 PM
far as I understand it is only notifiable diseases that ofsted need to be aware of and significant injuries that occur during your care. I'd make a note of it and how you dealt with his illness, get the parent to sign it and leave it at that if I were you xx

08-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I think this is the relevant document. I'd say you need to notify if the child was kept in for me than 24 hours, if not, no.


What you must notify to Ofsted
You must notify us about:
 the death of a child while on premises, or later, as the result of something that happened while the child was in your care
 death or serious accident or serious injury to any other person on your premises (Childcare Register only)
 serious injuries (please see the section below for the definition of serious injuries)
 where a child in your care is taken to hospital (to an Accident and Emergency Department for more than 24 hours), either directly from your provision, or later, as the result of something that happened while the child was in your care any significant event which is likely to affect the suitability to care for children.
We define serious injuries as:
 broken bones or a fracture
 loss of consciousness
 pain that is not relieved by simple pain killers
 acute confused state
 persistent, severe chest pain or breathing difficulties
 amputation
 dislocation of any major joint including the shoulder, hip, knee, elbow or spine
 loss of sight (temporary or permanent)
 chemical or hot metal burn to the eye or any penetrating injury to the eye
 injury resulting from an electric shock or electrical burn leading to unconsciousness, or requiring resuscitation or admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
 any other injury leading to hypothermia, heat-induced illness or unconsciousness; or requiring resuscitation; or requiring admittance to hospital for more than 24 hours
 unconsciousness caused by asphyxia or exposure to harmful substance or biological agent

08-04-2011, 08:23 AM
i would say no but if in doubt give them a ring that way youve covered yourself:) hope lo better soon

08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks a lot - poor parents are really worried as it's his first illness. Hopefully he'll be ok v soon