PDA

View Full Version : Food Hygiene Inspection

samb
07-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Well, I had been out yesterday and when I got back from school run about 4 I had an ansaphone msg asking to call a guy about my food safety from the council. I presumed it would be about an inspection but wasn't really sure how the system worked in terms of how they book to see you etc. Anyway, I decided to start giving my kitchen a thorough going over anyway (as in stripping out cupboards etc, not your usual clean). Only did 1/4 of my kitchen but felt happy to have made a start. I rang them today and left a msg at about 11. He rang me back about 11:45 and was knocking on my door at 12:15!

It was all good though - I passed. The questions were fine as I updated my food safety level 2 last year and had also filled in my Safer food, better business pack. The only thing he suggested was getting a fridge thermometer (I currently just have a disc hanging in there that says "OK" or has a cross if not ok) but said it was just a suggestion and he was happy that I knew what I was doing and met the legal requirements.

Phew! I must say that I had been worried about this inspection, mainly because the sorts of things I thought they might have problems with would be big money to sort out (eg my freezer drawers are cracked). I was also pleased that he had visited so quickly in a way cos most of the kitchen was in my usual "clean" state rather than my "super spring cleaned" state if you see what I mean?!

miffy
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Well done - glad it went OK

Miffy xx

handeme
08-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Do you actual;y have an inspection.

I sent my forms off to register as a food business with my local council but I have never heard anything ?!

c x

lou246
08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
I had this inspection a few weeks ago and it was the strangest experience ever :laughing:
The inspector lady told me how unhygienic she is at home and she never cleans :eek:
She didn't look at anything just asked a few basic questions and that was that! Relatively painless :D

Milli147
08-04-2011, 09:26 AM
hazzaeddieandme - it depends on where you live. Some come out and some just file your paperwork in case it's ever needed.

Mine came out, asked questions about where I shop, how often, checked I kept all reciepts, and what sorts of food I provide, and when it's prepared/stored.

She gave a quick glance in the fridge and laughed at the fact my fridge thermometer was faulty (I knew this, but didn't expect her to find it funny!) She said it is immediately obvious within 2 mins of being in someones house whether there is an issue or not...so I guess that's ok then!

Pipsqueak
08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Glad it went ok. I am so glad EHO are employing sense in 'inspecting' us:clapping:

rickysmiths
08-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Iv'e been registered for two years and never had an inspection. About 4 minders had one at the start and then none since.

samb
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I am in Surrey. I have heard only 1 other minder that I know has had an inspection and hers had been awful, hence my panic about it all! I think in this area it is random when/if they come. I forgot to ask if I would get another inspection.

Most of the inspection was just me answering questions like mili147 said. There were things I knew we should do like checking temperature of food delivered by online delivery services but said I don't as I feel it would be colder than if I had been to a shop and driven back with it in my car etc. He was fine with that and said we just have to be sensible and understand what to do etc.