PDA

View Full Version : 45 mins to feed 8mo????????

acorns
07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Ok, I have mindee 8mo who has recently started to refuse food, basically he shuts his mouth and refuses to open & turn his head away. This is after he has eaten part of his meal, so seems to be satisfying his inital hunger. I'm fine with this and calmly try to persuade him to have a bit more but if it's clear he doesn't want it I take the bowl away. I always offer something later if he seems hungry. Meal time usually takes about 15mins. I have spoken to Mum who says she spends 45mins feeding him:eek: and expects me to do the same. My view is that if he was hungry he would eat, she does give him really big portions, more than my 3yo eats!! I think she is expecting him to eat more than he wants or needs. Mum provides meals, I do snacks, & he is very big for his age, although that is not a concern as he is in proportion. What would you do?

muffins
07-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Theres not much you can do really, if he won't eat you can't force him! You could try leaving it 5mins & then try again but this has never worked for me.

Minstrel
07-04-2011, 08:58 PM
My DD started doing this (she's 7 months) when she was ready to start feeding herself. We give finger foods now and she is much happier.

tulip0803
07-04-2011, 08:59 PM
As a childminder you cannot spend 45 minutes feeding him - what are the other children going to do when they have finished their food and you still have to sit there.

If he is hungry he would eat it. As muffins said you cannot force him to eat it. try finger foods or giving him the spoon to try.

Shirlwith3
08-04-2011, 05:12 AM
I had one like that too he would even sit with the food in his mouth for a very long time, I then found out that his parents were giving him 2 whole weatabix & a full bottle of milk before coming to me, I even tried feeding him early at 11.15 & the latest at 2pm & he still would eat. I in the end took the food away if he refused so by the the time he left he was starting to eat better,

Pipsqueak
08-04-2011, 06:24 AM
sounds like he has found a fun game to play and HE is in control.

You are doing the right thing - - not playing HIS game, ignoring the game and just getting on. Bet he cottons on quick with you .

onceinabluemoon
08-04-2011, 06:29 AM
I have been through this with a mindee and I took the food away as soon as they started refusing, presuming they were not hungry.

mama2three
08-04-2011, 06:29 AM
Completely agree with Pip , he has mums full attention for 45 minutes by playing this game at lunchtime. Keep doing what youre doing and he will eat as much as he needs x

auntym
08-04-2011, 06:46 AM
If he is hungry he will eat hon. You cant spend 45 minutes feeding him. But need to explain that to mum. And we cant force a child to eat. Im sure little one will soon learn that if your not playing his games he will eat.

caz3007
08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I wouldnt sit for the long, would try and get him to take some more but would give up. He stomach is only the size of his fist, so he wouldnt need a huge amount at that age. Babies need small and often. As others suggested, offer him some finger food, he may well prefer that and then it breaks the chain of the game and attention

acorns
08-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all your really helpful replies. Glad I seem to be doing the right thing. I have tried him with finger food along with his meal, but he just throws it on the floor at the moment, and wouldn't eat enough this way just yet to fill himself up. So finger food is mainly for snacks at the mo.

karen m
08-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I had lo who was 10 months and would refuse food point blank,lo would arrive at 6.50 breakfast would be at 7.30 and i would still be there when time for school run,so told mum she said this never happened at home but then brother said they have wotsits at home for breakfast as lo can eat them on own

SammyM
10-04-2011, 06:01 AM
but then brother said they have wotsits at home for breakfast as lo can eat them on own

Oh dear God !! Can pick up wotsits but not banana I bet!!! Some people eh???