PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when a baby doesn't want mummy?

buzzy bee
07-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I feel terrible :(

I've been having a baby 2 days a week since January and she's now 8 months... today when her mummy was cuddling her when she picked her up, she reached out her arms to me. I took her (not sure if I should have?) Then I tried to give her back to mummy after a quick cuddle but she just clung onto me and cried a little bit. I tried to make light of it by saying 'I don't want you go to mummy!' Mum was making a joke too folding her arms saying 'no i don't want you now' but I could tell she was actually quite upset. I tried to distract from it by saying 'i'll see you tomorrow and we're going to go to the park, oh that will be fun' but think that might have made things worse... ie... your child wants to cuddle me AND i'm going to have lots of fun with her tomorrow while you're at work...

I feel absolutely awful and think I handled it really badly.

What would you have done in this situation? And is there anything I can do to make mum feel better?

dollydally
07-04-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd be interested in this too as I have a 13 month old that does the same.... I've been looking after her for 6 weeks. I think mum is pleased that she likes me but I know I'd be a little hurt if it was one of mine. Looking forward to your helpful replies as I know mine was completely useless!

blue bear
07-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I had a lo like this, mum was fine about it, always said she was pleased her lo approved of her choice of child minder.
Babies always do this at dome point most often with mum and dad, I remember mine doing it, it must just hurtore when you feel guilty about leaving lo and going off to work. Reassure mum lo knows she is her mum and is special lo is just showing what good taste mum has in picking you!

clio0602
07-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I had a few lo's like this and I now won't pick them up to handover. I let them walk or crawl to the front door and let mummy or daddy pick them up. Seems to work fine. Tbh if my lo did that I would feel so awful of the time I was missing. I'm bad enough when dd walks quite happily into nursery lol x

lma
07-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't really mind however my own daughter is VERY close to a fellow childminder who we see almost every day. It gets to the point now that when she's upset she never runs to myself but to this other childminder and I must get about 100 times a day I want to go to X's house :rolleyes:

It doesnt really bother me as I know she only gets like this as she has too much of a good thing being with me all day???:D :laughing:

Now however if I have trouble getting her to stay in bed I tell her she has to go to sleep or she'll be too tired to go to X's house to play and shes out like a light:blush:

Helen Dempster
08-04-2011, 12:52 PM
My 21m mindee is like this when his dad comes to collect him in the evening. I don't take him back when he stretches his arms out to me though, I just say something like "you're going home with daddy now". He almost pushes his mum out the door in the morning too, but thankfully they both see the funny side of it.