PDA

View Full Version : Animals

little chicks
24-04-2008, 08:20 PM
I am just in the process of getting registered. I have completed the first part of the diploma and I am just waiting for the results of the test I completed. (By the way how long does this take)?

I have a dog. I think this will be the only show stopper for me. I have a big house and It is already child friendly as I have a two year old but my only concern is that OFSTED will say no to my dog.

If I keep my dog in a seperate room to the children and have a fenced off part of the garden for her, will this be acceptable to OFSTED?

Does anybody else have any animals ? Does this put parents off ?

Jude :)

Jinx
24-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I have a dog, german shepherd cross, a rabbit and 2 gerbils. Ofsted didn't have a problem with any of the pets. You need a 'pet policy' and have records showing injections, worming etc. We trained the dog NOT to use the garden as a toilet at all some years ago. Ofsted were impressed by that, but fencing off a section is just as good.

I have had a couple of enquiries which have come to an abrupt end when I have mentioned the dog, but thats up to the parents!!!
The parents I do have, both love my dog and always greet him before they do their children!

Good luck.

Jinx x

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a dog and rabbits

You will need a pet policy

You can find one here

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/policies/policies_and_procedures.html

Dont forget to say hello in the " hello" section so we all know who we are speaking to

Angel xxx

sarah707
24-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Good advice there - you'll be fine! :D

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 08:33 PM
I have lots of animals........

1 cat
2 tortoises
1 hamster
4 african snails
2 fish tanks

and I'm getting a puppy next week.

My pre-reg inspector was very interested in all my pets and was particually keen to meet my tortoises! She listed all my animals and told me that parents would love it!

I don't think you'll have a problem with your dog.

Tell the inspector that you practice safety and hygine rules ie. not leaving food out, making sure there is no dog poo in the garden, washing hands after touching the dog etc.

Also it's worth having a "pet policy" a very kind member of this forum sent me a copy of hers to use :D

Permission forms are also good, the parents can then sign to say they are happy for their children to aid you in the care of your pets, all important things to learn remember.

Good luck.

little chicks
24-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Arh thanks for that. My dog is a german shepherd too. She is lovely and great with my children and friends. I just did not want to proceed with the application if she was going to be a blocker to my application.
Thanks again

Jude :clapping:

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Good luck Jude

Angel xx

little chicks
24-04-2008, 08:40 PM
thanks to you all. I am so relived I joined the forum and asked the question. I have been putting off contacting Ofsted just incase it was bad news.
Thanks again to you all.
Jude:laughing:

tulip0803
24-04-2008, 08:44 PM
When I lived in England OFSTED had no problems with my pets. 1 dog, 2 rabbits, 4 guinea pigs and 2 rats. I just had to state how I would keep the children safe - through worming, vaccinations, vet checks, Keeping them clean, excercising the dog, clearing up after the dog, not leaving the children alone with animals, keeping their food away from the children etc etc

Some parents do not like pets other parents think it's fantastic - I have had parents scared of dogs place their children with me because they did not want their children to be scared too. Evan the rats got me one little girl:)

berkschick
24-04-2008, 08:54 PM
I have 6 cats, a rabbit and a fish tank.

I was worried people would be put off.

3 enquiries came to nothing because of the cats but I was full within 10 weeks of registering and all the parents comment about how their kids love the cats.

Good luck!

mrsh
24-04-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm glad this question has come up as I've been thinking about this to. I have 2 snakes - which are in locked vivariums, 2 tarantula's - which are in secure tanks, giant african land snails, 2 bearded dragons - which again are in locked vivariums and 2 rabbits (plus babies at moment). One of my rabbits is currently a house rabbit but when I start childminding he will be moved into a shed outside (as I'm moving).
I suppose it all depends on the parents. I wouldn't get the snakes out when mindees are in the house and I don't handle the tarantulas anyway. It's more the rabbits, snails and bearded dragons that my children are involved and help with but none of these do have to be cared for during my childminding day as I can see to them before and after the children are here.
I was just worried of the reaction to the types of pets I have even though they would not be in direct contact with the child unless the parent said (and signed a form) to say so. Not sure of what ofsteds reaction would be though.

Jinx
24-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I'm glad this question has come up as I've been thinking about this to. I have 2 snakes - which are in locked vivariums, 2 tarantula's - which are in secure tanks, giant african land snails, 2 bearded dragons - which again are in locked vivariums and 2 rabbits (plus babies at moment). One of my rabbits is currently a house rabbit but when I start childminding he will be moved into a shed outside (as I'm moving).
I suppose it all depends on the parents. I wouldn't get the snakes out when mindees are in the house and I don't handle the tarantulas anyway. It's more the rabbits, snails and bearded dragons that my children are involved and help with but none of these do have to be cared for during my childminding day as I can see to them before and after the children are here.
I was just worried of the reaction to the types of pets I have even though they would not be in direct contact with the child unless the parent said (and signed a form) to say so. Not sure of what ofsteds reaction would be though.

WOW!!!

That is quite an assortment.:eek:

Jinx x

mrsh
24-04-2008, 10:09 PM
:laughing: I like to be different!!

I started with a tarantula and it kind of got addictive!! I have always had a phobia of spiders but for some strange reason decided on getting a tarantula. I don't handle her (mainly for her safety and yea ok she kind of scares me) but she is fascinating to watch. She is chilean rose and known for being very docile.
Just hope ofsted and other parents will be ok about it.

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Dont let Lana here you speak about your spider

Do you have any pics of all these animals ?

Angel xxx

mrsh
24-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Here is Missy my crawl cay boa
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/graceandhoney/PICT0508.jpg

mrsh
24-04-2008, 10:22 PM
petal the snail

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/graceandhoney/miasbirthday149.jpg

Teddy my french lop with my daughter

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/graceandhoney/PICT0454.jpg

Not got any more on computer at moment - will have to take some!

Jinx
24-04-2008, 10:32 PM
OH MY GOD

Just scrolled down and that picture of the snake made me jump outta my skin!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Was going to go to bed now, but I might have nightmares!!!:panic:

The rabbit looks lovely!!!;) Sorry, not a fan of snakes, snails, spiders etc.
Would love to see a picture of the dragon things though. :thumbsup:

Jinx x

mrsh
24-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I have got one of my beardies (spike) piccys somewhere so I'll find it and transfer it to photobucket to upload.
The snake is a softy she just looks mean!

mrsh
24-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Found it - here's spike the bearded dragon :clapping:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/graceandhoney/piccys001.jpg

Twinkles
25-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Eeww !! sorry but YUCK!!

Like the rabbit though ( and the cute baby :D )

Jinx
25-04-2008, 08:03 AM
The dragon looks cool. :cool:

I'd love to be able to tell everyone I have a dragon at home!!! Wow. :D

Think i'll stick to pets that have more hair than me though!!!:laughing:
Thanks for showing us the photos.:thumbsup:

Jinx. x

Oh and I did go staight to bed and I didn't have nightmares!!! :laughing: Actually slept quite well for a change.:rolleyes:

louise2778
25-04-2008, 08:22 AM
My dd has always wanted a snake. I think your pets look so cool, I would love to have lizzards and snakes but am a bit too scared of spiders to have a pet one!:panic:

I will show dd your photos when she gets in from school. That snake is sooo cool...I want one! :clapping:

I have a dog and 2 cats and the first question I posted on here was to ask if ofsted would have a problem with them.

Thanks to all the advice I know it will be fine.:thumbsup:

Polly2
25-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Fantastic pets

My dad used to keep snakes when I was little until one got out once and my mum threatened to move out if he didn't get rid of them.

I was only about 5 but I remember sauying goodbye to them in tears at the pet shop.

avril
25-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry mrsh I just do NOT do snakes that gave one heck of a fright!!!:eek: :eek: They are my BIG phobia

Avril x:)

caza
27-04-2008, 01:23 PM
I haven't quite yet begun the registration process yet but my immediate concern is our pets. We have 4 dogs (one of which is only being fostered) which all live outside in a large kennel in which they can be locked in if needed. We are also talking about sectioning off part of the bottom of the garden for them.

We also have 2 guinea pigs and a house rabbit who is lovely. All of our dogs are very friendly ( although sometimes noisy when excited ) and my 4 year old loves them. I'm just really worried that as soon as i say we have dogs they wont consider me. And even if they do would it put parents off in the future even though they never actuall come in the house?

Hearing that I'm not the only one with more than my fair share of pets makes me feel a bit better but I can't help but worry.

Caroline

Bushpig
27-04-2009, 11:50 AM
We have just got a hamster this weekend :) Chewy!

We have a house abroad and the tenants have 2 anacondas and a tarantula! We visited them when we were there in january, and the snakes at 2 months old werent that big... but heck... anacondas grow HUGE!!! :eek:

I told my hubby that if the rent stops coming we know the tenants have been eaten... :rolleyes:

jibberjitz
27-04-2009, 01:04 PM
I think as long as you take reasonable precautions and follow your pet policy you should be fine. I only have a budgie so he isn't much of a problem :D

Trouble
27-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Found it - here's spike the bearded dragon :clapping:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u288/graceandhoney/piccys001.jpg

love them:D

Trouble
27-04-2009, 01:10 PM
2 dogs 1 manic

1 cat

3 guinea pigs

1 hamster

would like a bearded dragon, soooo cute:clapping: :clapping: