PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Free Help Pls...

SammyM
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
My DS has been advised to have a month Dairy free following a few weeks of tummy troubles, anyone got any experience of this and any handy tips pls, only on day two and packed lunch for school today looked rubbish!! Poor little lamb :-(((((

Blaze
07-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Look out for lactose & whey on labels - you'd be surprised, biscuits, crips & even some brands of baked beans have these in!

Vitalite is made from sunflower oil & some nice biscuits are lactose free - you can for the most part replace items with soy equivelents too. (My son was lactose & soy intolerant - whole new ball game):rolleyes: ...it's not too bad, when it's just dairy, it's just a case of getting used to it:thumbsup:

Blackcat
07-04-2011, 11:01 AM
hi,
my DS was diary intolerant and one of my mindees is ,
got a few websites i use .

Blaze has given you the basics, brown bread (wholemeal) is a good start is most are made with soya flour :D

Penny1959
07-04-2011, 11:54 AM
As Blaze says - it is a case of getting used to it. DD4 was dairy intollerant from birth (out grew it at 6ish - came back when went to uni - now gone again at 22) At first I found it hard but found home cooked things a great help as knew what went into things - used vialite for all family cooking

Penny :)

blue bear
07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Sounds like an intolerance rather than full blown allergy so you just need to avoid the milk sugars ( lactose/ whey) there are some good web sites if you google milk intolerance.
Have you asked to see a dietician we found ours was really useful. You can swap milk containing stuff to dairy free in most food stuff, tesco do a fab free from range, asda do one but not as big a variety. Try the health food shop they do good alternatives too.

We use pure 'butter' the yellow one tastes better nut the green one makes great cakes.
Angel cake in supermarkets are often milk free and merangues with fruit make a sweet treat.

Alpro yogurts are quite tasty and tesco do a long life pudding in their free from range which makes a good alternative to yogurts in packed lunches.
Special k bliss bars are milk free.

Liverbird
30-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm having problems with a new mindee. He is dairy intolerant and is only at the stage of being weened. Mum has provided formula milk and soya milk for me but apart from that I'm stuck. Please help.

smurfette
30-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Hia I have dd1 off this dairy at the mo as she has year round 'hayfever' for breakfast she has toast and decaff coffee (just a couPle granules to give it taste) made with soya milk she doesn't like tea with it in. Tesco does a huge range of soya milk including individual cartons of strawberry 'milk' don't know what that's like but my dd likes the sweetened tescos own soya milk.

For lunch she has a sandwich and mini pot of jelly/fruit pieces; piece of fruit, crackers or bread sticks. It is a bit limiting as she loves yoghurt and cheeses but as the others have said there are soya yogurts. You could even give a little pot of something like Cheerios for some variety , carrot sticks, cherry tomoatoes, slices of pepper etc.

It is hard to think outside the box for the first few days we were constantly saying 'do u want .. Oh no u cant have that!' but she is 10 so helps us to remember too. It does become second nature tho so hang in there the results will be worth it my dds hayfever has almost cleared up!they say with diary you see improvement in the first week or so off it so hope he feels better soon!

blue bear
30-01-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm having problems with a new mindee. He is dairy intolerant and is only at the stage of being weened. Mum has provided formula milk and soya milk for me but apart from that I'm stuck. Please help.

What in particular are you stuck on?
Do you make meals from fresh if so most meals can be made by substituting dairy products with dairy free.
My son is full on allergic so have lived with this for 17 years now it's a bit tricky at first but you soon get used to it.
Sma website have sone good dairy free recipes for weaning

Goatgirl
30-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Hi :),
All fruit and veg are dairy free. And Humous is good as a dip or spread :). Maybe try vegan websites for recipe ideas :thumbsup:

Good luck :)

christine e
30-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I look after lo who use to be dairy intolerant as well as being coeliac but I can honestly say she ate the most healthy diet of the children because she didn't eat any processed food. She can now eat cheese and tolerates a small amount of milk but still has to have a wheat free diet.

Cx

Liverbird
01-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Thank you all for your help. There are loads of suggestions that I just hadn't thought of. I have found some good sites with recipes so will try them and if they're any good will post the sites on here. Wish me luck.

Becci26
01-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Hi my DD was on a dairy free diet for a few years, we use vitalite (used to use Pure but prefer the taste and price of vitalite), also bourbon biscuits are dairy free...