PDA

View Full Version : I feel so useless !!!!

hannahsstar
24-04-2008, 07:44 PM
One of my mindees has always been a poor eater, but now at the age of nearly two, she is still only eating fruit and crisps and the occasional yoghurt. She always has a sniffle and looks pale and is always tired. She seems to be losing weight too. I have spoken to her mum and said that I feel the child should see someone about her diet and have even suggested that she try a tonic to increase her appetite. Her mum seems to nod and say yes I will, but then do nothing.

I feel so useless but what else can I do?

Jae

sarah707
24-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Not a lot you can do to be honest... if you're trying to tempt her with different food, you've done food themes, you're keeping in contact with parents and voicing your concerns...

My dd was a very conservative eater when she was small... still is at 14... some children are like that.

Though if this child seems ill from not eating you could have a confidential word with the health visitor and see if she can suggest anything.

Good luck! :D

Tickles
24-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Hi, i have had the exact same. parents provide lunch & some days she has quite a bit [ not very healthy] but still food & other days she comes with 4 dry crackers & maybe a yogurht!!!:eek: [ my son has more for snack!!!]
She has had a cold since i can remember, is pale & hates to walk anywhere [ no energy]

She doesnt eat good unless it is junk & is always shattered, but i am not allowed to let her sleep as she will not sleep at night time [ age 3.5]

I feel so sorry for her & have spoken to the parents numerous times, but they do try to get her to eat, it's just that she doesn't [ unless junk]

They say that she asks for the crackers for lunch & they would rather have her eat something, but i just look at it as eating next to nothing.

my kids are very good eaters, eat all the time but balanced healthy diets + they are always running about & going to numerous activities, so i think that makes it harder

Joanne

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh try not to worry you are doing everything that you can

My daughter had the same problems and was under the hospital for 5 years but they could find nothing wrong with her at all

She always looked unwell - did not eat very fast and did not eat much

My doctor always told me that little and often even if it was the same food was good

She worried the life out of me ...... but it came and she did eat when she was hungry IN THE END

Just try not to make a big thing of it ...... I found the more I did that the more discouraged she became

Give plenty of fluids and leave fruit so the little one can help herself

My grandson is 2 and has days when he eats lots and other days not much

Just work together with the parent like you are doing

Angel xx

miffy
Why don't you try keeping a food diary for a week and recording everything she eats and drinks - then you have something to discuss with mum - she may react differently if she sees it all in black and white

Good luck

miffy xx

Twinkles
I've had four children and two would eat anything but the other two were soooo picky.
There's not a great deal you can do except try not to make an issue of it.

Will she drink smoothies ?

Is she better at more frequent tiny meals ?

Will she try cheese spread to dip her crisps in?

Don't know there's much else you can do. You are not useless you are a good minder or you wouldn't be so concerned.
I agree with Sarah about speaking to the health visitor.

hannahsstar
24-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Hi Joanne

Thanks these parents are just the same, they don't want me to let her sleep either and she isn't 2 yet!!! They are really making me mad and I feel so sorry for the little mite!

Jae

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:04 PM
I have parents like that they dont like their child sleeping

How are you supposed to keep a child awake - madness really

If my mindee wants to sleep I sometimes let him..... I just FORGET to tell the parent

Angel xx

hannahsstar
24-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi thanks all,

There are some good ideas there thanks. I will keep a diary and will also speak to the health visitor. I think I'm just so used to all my children eating everything in sight.

I have tried cheesey dips and smoothies. The cheesey dips are fine with her one day and then the next she throws them across the room

Jae

hannahsstar
24-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Hi Angel,

I do that too!

Jae

Tickles
24-04-2008, 08:13 PM
The child has been not well some days & fell asleep & i have been told that i have to wake her, even if she sleeps 5mins, thats it for the night!!

Though i have to admit, i have left her for a while as i think when they are poorly, they need the extra sleep [ i certainly do!!]

I think i will try that to, re: food diary, that way i can show the parents all that she eats at mine.

crazybones
24-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Just a thought but I have a 2 year old mindee who I thought would not eat, I would give him the same as my os (exactly the same age) and he wouldnt eat anything. After a few days I discovered that his parents feed him every single thing by hand and he was waiting for me to place the food into his mouth - yeah right like I am going to do that all the time :rolleyes: They said they couldnt cope with the mess and so they just popped everything into his mouth. He is still hard work because they (parents) wont change but he watches my os using a fork/spoon and hands and is slowly realising he wont get anything if he doesnt try himself.