PDA

View Full Version : Any help regarding assistants covering while on holiday?

cchildcare
06-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Hi I'm wondering whether somebody on the forum could help me with this question?

I'm sure I have read that as an assistant the child can only be left with the assistant for a max of 2 hours providing we have consent from parents and that the assistant has paediatric first aid qualification. However my argument is that if I go away on holiday could my assistant (my mum who all children and parents love!) be left in sole charge of these kids for the week?

I think it's a much better option than sending the children elsewhere to a new environment with completely different minder!

If anybody has the correct answer to this please let me know :) and how I can get around it so I'm providing the best consistent care I can!

jumpinjen
06-04-2011, 10:24 PM
I believe that you cannot do this as however much your mum would be the lovliest person to leave them with, she isn't a registered minder so this wouldn't be OK. Ofsted have produced a factsheet regarding working with assistants and if that doesn't help you find a definitive answer then a call to ofsted would be sensible to check that you are covered.... sorry. probably not the answer that you wanted to hear! Jen x

sarah707
07-04-2011, 06:52 AM
No, absolutely not.

Assistants must work under the direct supervision of the childminder at all times except when given specific written permission stated on your certificate from Ofsted and on a permission form from parents to be with them alone for a short time such as in an emergency.

Sorry x

munch149
07-04-2011, 08:02 AM
She would need to do the icp as well in order to be left on her own

Mouse
07-04-2011, 08:24 AM
As others have said, no your assistant cannot be left alone with children for more than a short time. Ofsted view a short time as being a school run, a doctor's appointment etc.

The only way round it would be for the parents to make a private arrangement with your assistant, so that she is working herself, not as your assistant.

Have a look at this fact sheet:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Registration-not-required/(language)/eng-GB

She could look after them in their own home, or if you look at point 16, she may be able to look after them in her own home, or in your home, if it is for less that 14 days a year. She would need to tell Ofsted though. LIke I say, she would be working in her own right, not as your assistant, so would not have insurance etc. I'd give Ofsted a ring to clarify it.

zippy
07-04-2011, 02:01 PM
could you not ask a childminder friend to supervise your assistant as such

sarah707
07-04-2011, 05:18 PM
could you not ask a childminder friend to supervise your assistant as such

No this would be illegal as well :(

An assistant is attached to a childminder and is noted on the childminder's certificate.

The assistant then works at that childminder's house and has permission from children's parents to support the childminder.

You can't swap assistants between houses, children or childminders I'm afraid.

Chatterbox Childcare
07-04-2011, 05:27 PM
When you have an assistant they are approved by Ofsted to work as an assistant with you. If they want to work with another childminder then that childminder needs to apply for permission.

How would you feel if you went away on holiday and the assistant was negligent and you came back to a law suit?

You are the registered person and if the parents make arrangements outside your business with the assistant as a babysitter then you are not involved and not responsible.

In no way take payment for this and pay your assistant.