PDA

View Full Version : GCSE's

caz
24-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Hi I don't know whether this is common knowledge or not but a childminder friend was told by a maths tutor that all childminders will have to have gcse maths and english by 2010. If this is true does it mean that you carn't continue to childmind if you don't have the qualifications and if you have level 3 in child care would this mean that you don't have to do the courses.
Sorry to babble on but i'm new to chilminding and am starting to panic already.
Thanks x Caron:panic:

sarah707
24-04-2008, 07:31 PM
It is my understanding that all people working with children will need a level 3 qualification (or be working towards one) by 2010...

To do a level 3, most training providers (but not all) will want a candidate to have an o'level (old me!) or gcse or cse pass in English and maths to show they are capable of working to a high enough standard to pass the course.

Some training providers will suggest a level 2 course to start with, working towards a level 3 the next year... but whether they want entry level maths and English for this, I do not know.

I suggest you contact your local CIS training office for more info before panicking too much - there are plenty of courses around and training has never been simpler to access.. plus there's money in the pot so most (not all) are free...

Good luck... let us know how you get on! :D

Jinx
24-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Hi
Could I just ask what a level 3 is equivilent to? I took 'o' levels, 'a' levels etc. How does it fit into the 'old' qualifications? ie. lower/higher than A levels etc
Jinx x

berkschick
24-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I got a letter in the post offering free NVA level 3 to childminders.

I rang up but because I have 9 GCSE A - C, I wasnt able to do the course :rolleyes:

So now I have to start looking again! I want to do it distance learning though.

Fandangles
24-04-2008, 09:14 PM
This is one of those things that the Government will have to do a huge U turn on once they realise that they can't get enough people to become a childminder.

It will go the same way as teaching where they have made the hoops that you need to go through to become and remain a teacher harder and harder but then filled the classrooms with teaching assistants who are finding that they are in effect teaching classes with practically no qualifications.

I'm not sure that it is GCSE that you will need or whether he is in fact referring to functional skills which you will need to pass to get virtually any qualification.

bubbly
24-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Soon we'll all be needing an Oxbridge degree just to fart!!! :laughing:

sarah707
24-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Soon we'll all be needing an Oxbridge degree just to fart!!! :laughing:

Haven't you got one?!? :eek: :laughing:

bubbly
24-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Haven't you got one?!? :eek: :laughing:
What, a fart? Oh yes, I've got plenty :D :laughing: :D

sarah707
24-04-2008, 09:42 PM
.........:ROFL1:

littlepixies
25-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Well ladies i had my nvq manager come round few weeks ago to do a review of my nvq3 which i have just started..... now she said to me that all people who wish to care for children will need to have or be on a course towards a level 3. The reason for this apparently is that alot of day care places have about 70% of staff who are eiher level 2 or nothing grade saying they want o do the nvq3 ect ect but when it comes down to it less than half actually do the qualification and in ofsteds eyes, in a nursery or cheche ect, your not allowed to be left alone with children unless you hold the level 3 grade!!!! now this is silly as were all childminders and anyone can become one and at the mo u dont need a level 3 grade, but were left alone with children every day! so thats why the government are now instising that all carers of children will have to have one or be working towards one!!!!

The nvq which im doing at the moment is an upgraded one to the one i started when working in a nursrey before daughter was born, its not just an nvq3... it has key skills too which are at a-c grade gcse for both maths and english, and has a betch part which is the knowledge behind the practicle of the nvq3 in ccld childrens care,learning and development.

This is a new thing recently bought out by the government and basically is soooo much better than a plain nvq3 ccld, as you can seeit covers the issue of a-c grade maths and englsih and shows you know wthat the hell your talking about as well as can do it in practice.

Im doing mine with Smart Training which has many places over uk that do the course, im finding the tutor reallnice and helpful. if under 25 you get it government funded and if over 25 they get most of it funded for you and you pay a contribution of about £500 i think

They also do a level 2 and a level 4 in management which i want to do next!

Here is their web site if anyone wants to have a look or enquire!
http://www.smart-training.com

When i applied it took 1 week to have my manger come to me at home and sign all paper work and then one week later i was on my first study day!

Polly2
25-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Does the dhc count as level 3?

louised
25-04-2008, 10:22 AM
When I did my Diploma in Childcare and Education in 2002/04 we were told that the level we were working at was the equivalent to taking 3 A levels, looking back it was a lot of hard work and I'm glad it's out of the way now, I wouldn't want to do it again, but on the other hand having a level 3 qualification will enable those childminders who want to, become accredited and be able to offer early years education.

Cazz
25-04-2008, 11:11 AM
OMG! This is all news to me I thought NVQ's were individual choice? When do you get time to do them as I would like to spend some time with my own family! Are they difficult cos I haven't done any formal qualifications since I left school several :) years ago and I'm slightly worried now. I think I'm beginning to see why one of my neighbours as given up childminding after several years but I am still keen to go for it even though I keep getting information like this!

Not having a very good day - I've got a really sore throat and my 4 month old daughter keeps throwing her milk up! Another change of clothes coming up! It's also her Christening on Sunday and got loads to organise (shouldn't really be on here!). Perhaps some chocolate will improve matters!

wendywu
25-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I think we must all be on a course by 2015 so you dont have to panic just yet. Of course a new goverment could get in and change the goal posts in either direction.:)

sarah707
25-04-2008, 11:26 AM
Cazz - I would suggest you have a word with your local development officer or the CIS - they will point you in the right direction as far as courses etc...

I hope you all have a wonderful day on Sunday ... and the weather improves! :D

tulip0803
25-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi
Could I just ask what a level 3 is equivilent to? I took 'o' levels, 'a' levels etc. How does it fit into the 'old' qualifications? ie. lower/higher than A levels etc
Jinx x

This is what I have in my college info

"Level 1 is broadly related in terms of level of demand, to GCSE grades D-G or National Curriculum level 5.

Level 2 can be broadly related, in terms of level of demand, to GCSE grades A*–C.

Level 3 can be broadly related, in terms of level of demand, to an A level

The higher levels, levels 4 and 5, describe those skills relevant to technical and professional situations and higher level study i.e. degree courses."

So a level 3 qualification is equivalant to A levels

Cazz
25-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks Sarah! I'm still here but must go and feed the baby so she can throw that bottle up as well! Weather is nice here today but not good forecast for Sunday but don't mind too much because after the Church service we have hired a function room with its own bar so I dare say we'll be able to keep ourselves amused!

That note that Julia has put is completely gobblygook to me! I'll try and find out more about what I should do at my ICP course.

Carole x

susi513
25-04-2008, 06:45 PM
And if you're older than me (I was in the last year of O Levels before the GCSEs came in) :

Level 1 is also CSE up to Grade 2, O Level up to grade D
Level 2 is also O level grade C and above, CSE Grade 1

Level 3 is A Level, should also be DHC? was CCP when I did it
Level 4 is Certificate in Early Years Practice eg http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01C37
Level 5 is Foundation Degree eg http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01G01
Level 6 is full degree eg http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01B51
Level 7 is Masters
Level 8 is Doctorate

DD says she wants to be a childminder. Suspect she'll need to aim for Level 8 by the time she's old enough!

Jinx
25-04-2008, 06:57 PM
It is my understanding that all people working with children will need a level 3 qualification (or be working towards one) :D

Sorry, stupid question I expect, but does the level 3 or equivilent have to be a specific childcare related qualification?
Just that some employers demand degrees, but doesn't matter if its in physics or flower arranging!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jinx

Kelly
25-04-2008, 07:02 PM
I have my level 4 and I do not have either Maths or English (well I got D in both!) so you can progress without A-C's! I would like to do the EYPS but that is one course you cannot get on without Maths and English so I am wondering whether I should go back to college and re-do them.

I am sure I was not asked about my GCSE when I did my CCP.

Kelly

sarah707
25-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Sorry, stupid question I expect, but does the level 3 or equivilent have to be a specific childcare related qualification?
Just that some employers demand degrees, but doesn't matter if its in physics or flower arranging!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jinx

I believe it has to be childcare related... I would ask your local CIS for more information... :D

Pipsqueak
25-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Does the dhc count as level 3?

Yes the DHC is a recognised Level 3 qualification aimed at homebased carers (childminders!):D

Pipsqueak
25-04-2008, 09:27 PM
OMG! This is all news to me I thought NVQ's were individual choice? When do you get time to do them as I would like to spend some time with my own family! Are they difficult cos I haven't done any formal qualifications since I left school several :) years ago and I'm slightly worried now. I think I'm beginning to see why one of my neighbours as given up childminding after several years but I am still keen to go for it even though I keep getting information like this!

Not having a very good day - I've got a really sore throat and my 4 month old daughter keeps throwing her milk up! Another change of clothes coming up! It's also her Christening on Sunday and got loads to organise (shouldn't really be on here!). Perhaps some chocolate will improve matters!

Its doesn't have to be an NVQ it can be the DHC (which I personally think was a lot easier than NVQ) but the DHC is geared only towards childminding whereas the NVQ 3 CCLD is broader and you can add "bolt ons" to take you onto a different career path!

Mrs.L.C
30-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I managed to do my NVQ3 through Triangle training fully funded. I know all childminders need to be level 3 or equivalent or above by 2010 to raise the standards which most childminders are happy/want to do.

We have been talking about the GCSE thing earlier today. Not sure how to link thread to this message but if you search GCSE maths you will see it but It starts off with the following which may help the 1st message in this thread,

Not sure if any1 else has heard this but new childminders and current childminders need to show their certificate of Maths & English grade C or above before they can book on any furture training. If you havnt got these you need to do a test.

louise
30-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Is it both English Lit and Language they want C's in???? I got a D in one cant remember which. Getting lost on the NVQ and DHC thing can we choose either???? I'm also interested in maybe doing teaching assistant in the future so will NVQ be best??

Thanks Lou

Mrs.L.C
31-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Is it both English Lit and Language they want C's in???? I got a D in one cant remember which. Getting lost on the NVQ and DHC thing can we choose either???? I'm also interested in maybe doing teaching assistant in the future so will NVQ be best??

Thanks Lou

its in both maths and english. The NVQ I did wasnt too bad. I was assesed on alot of practical so when the assessor came out, I just did my job and she observed and asked questions. There were questions I had to research and had to find time to do the theory side but it was all complete in just over a year and personaly think its worth it. I did it all from home.

I personaly chose the NVQ as it meant I could use it somewhere else in the future if I gave up the childminding and it is more recognised

louise
31-07-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks so i need it in both english's. I really dont want to retake. Do you have to do the level 2 first?? I read on my local college that you have to do level 2 first. Which will be annoying as my 18 year old sis is doing CACHE Level 2 Children's Care - Learning and Development in sept. Is that the correct one? I don't really want to do the same course as her at same time. My plan would be do level 2 2009/10 use her books the level 3 2010/11.

Should look at my CIS book.

Loux

miffy
31-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Not sure if any1 else has heard this but new childminders and current childminders need to show their certificate of Maths & English grade C or above before they can book on any furture training. If you havnt got these you need to do a test.

Although I had to put my qualifications on the application form they were never mentioned, let alone checked by either the college or the funding provider.

I did have to do an English grammar test on computer at college though

Miffy xx

Mrs.L.C
31-07-2008, 05:12 PM
I think Im confusing every1. If you have not got GCSE C or above in Maths or English you dont have to redo a GCSE, just a very short test probably like the English one Miffy has done which should only tak 20 mins. If people do book on any courses after Sept it will be interested to know if any one does get asked.

Mrs.L.C
31-07-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks so i need it in both english's. I really dont want to retake. Do you have to do the level 2 first?? I read on my local college that you have to do level 2 first. Which will be annoying as my 18 year old sis is doing CACHE Level 2 Children's Care - Learning and Development in sept. Is that the correct one? I don't really want to do the same course as her at same time. My plan would be do level 2 2009/10 use her books the level 3 2010/11.

Should look at my CIS book.

Loux

Do you mean the NVQ? If so, if you have done the core skils like food hygiene, safe guarding children...the ones that are usualy just one day or a few hours (if iv got that right) you should beable to go straight onto the NVQ level 3. I had done the developing childminding practice and loads of other short courses/workshops and had no problem going straight onto level 3 but its what would suit you really

sarah707
31-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Can I just remind everyone, if you are concerned, that there is no legal requirement in the eyfs to have level 3 (or any level) training for Childminders... this is the wording on page 31 of the eyfs Statutory Framework -

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

If you choose to improve your skills by doing an NVQ or other qualification, then that is great and shows professional development, but it is not a legal requirement, so if you are uncomfortable about taking courses, you do not have to feel pushed into doing them.

I hope this clarifies for anyone who is worried. :D

Mrs.L.C
31-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Can I just remind everyone, if you are concerned, that there is no legal requirement in the eyfs to have level 3 (or any level) training for Childminders... this is the wording on page 31 of the eyfs Statutory Framework -

In registered settings other than childminding settings, all supervisors and managers must hold a full and relevant level 3 qualification (as defined by the Children’s Workforce Development Council (CWDC)) and half of all other staff must hold a full and relevant level 2 qualification (as defined by CWDC).

If you choose to improve your skills by doing an NVQ or other qualification, then that is great and shows professional development, but it is not a legal requirement, so if you are uncomfortable about taking courses, you do not have to feel pushed into doing them.

I hope this clarifies for anyone who is worried. :D

Cheers for that. Iv just posted this in another thread as some are getting confused. I personaly want to continue learning and developing my setting as I am only 26 and feel what ever I do now I can use later in life but some people just want to care for the children and not do courses left right a center and I can see where they are coming from. Its a personal choice, I just feel the whole GCSE C or above esp after you are already at level 3 in childcare is abit annoying to put it nicely. I can see where they are coming from with using this with the new induction of childminders or to help towards getting a level 3 (so assessors know the childminder will under- stand the work before starting)...I could go on lol

kindredspirits
31-07-2008, 06:36 PM
confuzzled!! i want to start an NVQ as soon as i'm working properly - i've got A* GCSE maths and english - but no certificate as its at my mums house i assume and i would rather eat the maggots in my bin than contact my mother!!! :censored: do i need the certificate (i might be able to get on to OCR to do another one) or can i get away with just saying i've got them???????

anna x

Mrs.L.C
31-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Its always worth just saying you have got them to see if they ask for proof as they may not ask but at the last support childminder meeting regarding this we were told pre-reg childminders and current childminders would have to show certificates. If you havnt got them to show you may be asked to do the short test but if you got A*'s then I think you will have no problem with this test

louise
31-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Thats a bit better i checked the course is £580 with only 1 mindee i cant afford it. It was interesting as me and my friend who newly reg asked to see my obvs book. I showed her some bits. Our friend who is a teacher couldnt believe we had to do it. She does less obv for SATS. Her comment was that she sends them to play with us not so we can write about them.

buildingblocks
01-08-2008, 01:01 PM

The more I read the EYFS stuff the more angrier I am becoming not with the EYFS itself but with the attitude it gives out. I had hoped the EYFS would finally see us becoming classed as the same professionals as all other Early Years workers and to me this is not going to happen while phrases such as this policy needs to be in writing unless a childminder and the same with the qualification info that Sarah posted, other than in Childcare settings

I am a bit sensitive on this subject as I spent many years as a nanny holding an NNEB certificate being told by PANN I wasn't a Nursery Nurse in a nursery so could only hold an associate membership not full memebrship and for 20 years as a nanny trying to get people to listen that not all nannies were goign to shake children (louise woodward time - think that was her name) and now as a childminder seem to be having to still do the same. I was told by the manager of a local nursery I wouldn't be employed by them as I was only a childminder that is another story but think he regretted starting the conversation with me that night.

LOOPYLISA
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mrs.L.C
01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
The more I read the EYFS stuff the more angrier I am becoming not with the EYFS itself but with the attitude it gives out. I had hoped the EYFS would finally see us becoming classed as the same professionals as all other Early Years workers and to me this is not going to happen while phrases such as this policy needs to be in writing unless a childminder and the same with the qualification info that Sarah posted, other than in Childcare settings

I am a bit sensitive on this subject as I spent many years as a nanny holding an NNEB certificate being told by PANN I wasn't a Nursery Nurse in a nursery so could only hold an associate membership not full memebrship and for 20 years as a nanny trying to get people to listen that not all nannies were goign to shake children (louise woodward time - think that was her name) and now as a childminder seem to be having to still do the same. I was told by the manager of a local nursery I wouldn't be employed by them as I was only a childminder that is another story but think he regretted starting the conversation with me that night.

I have found other settings like nurseries/pre schools and schools dont understand what we do.... maybe they are threatened by the competition?

childminder54
01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
ive heard it is 2015 its been changed from 2010

veronica
xxx