PDA

View Full Version : Wall Displays

Stanfield
24-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi all,

Was just wondering where childminders stand on displaying childrens work?
Do you have to have wall displays as in nurseries? If so, where do you all keep them? I dont mind one in the hall but would prefer it not to invade our sitting room!

miffy
24-04-2008, 07:02 PM
You don't have to have wall displays but Ofsted do like to see children's work and if it's displayed it's all about valuing the child and giving them a sense of belonging etc etc - you could keep samples in their files.

I usually do a display in my kitchen then photograph it then let the children take their pictures home

miffy xx

chubbymummy
24-04-2008, 07:04 PM
i am very fortunate to have a play room so i put my displays on the wall in there

i used to put all my welcome/info to parents posters in my entrance to the house until i decided 2 weeks ago that all my childminding stuf was going in the play room........so that's where everything is

Twinkles
24-04-2008, 07:06 PM
I display their art on the playroom wall.
Parents info/certificate etc goes in the hallway.

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes I am lucky too as have playroom, mind you if I didn't would not want all that stuff on the walls in my lounge. I guess you could use scrapbooks as kids love looking through them if you want to keep them off the walls.

Maureen

Amaranth
24-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Do you have any pictures hung on the living room walls? If you do, you could buy a large notice board and use it use it to put the children's work on, then hang it in place of one of your pics whils you are working and put it behind the sofa out of the way when you want to reclaim your house.

venus89
24-04-2008, 07:15 PM
What about posters? Does the same thing apply, that they earn brownie points?

sarah707
24-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Oh yes!

Ofsted liked my parents information wall in the back porch with a noticeboard and lots of bits and bobs displayed... you have to display ofsted, insurance and first aid certificates and Ofsted poster anyway, so it's just an extension of that.

I also have a children's display in my playroom... photos, pictures they've done, a giant map, some posters etc :D

Rach30
24-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I use the back of the kitchen door which faces into the hall for displays . Important info goes in the hall . On my door at the min i have some large pictures of baby animals (spring like !) which used to be last years calander and a couple of sticking picture of a "garden" that a mindee did. I also have a side area that i have a bit of display on - nature table , christamas ect.

button68
24-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Here's my display wall http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4592 before my mindees filled it :D

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 07:39 PM
We made our own display board cheap with wood from B&Q

Hubby painted it white then the kids decorated it with hand prints

We have different displays on it about every 6 weeks

Some times we just have a theme / or pictures of the children / or their work or all of them etc etc

Here is a pic of the children decorating the board with hand prints

The other pic is our " we are different " display

Stanfield
24-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all the help!
I will be using scrap books but would also like a small display board.
I dont mind using my hall area as it is quite plain and we only walk through it, not as though it is a room we use a lot!
Think my husband will take some pursuading though!!!

miffy
24-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh yes!

Ofsted liked my parents information wall in the back porch with a noticeboard and lots of bits and bobs displayed... you have to display ofsted, insurance and first aid certificates and Ofsted poster anyway, so it's just an extension of that.

I also have a children's display in my playroom... photos, pictures they've done, a giant map, some posters etc :D

I didn't think it was a requirement to display your first aid certificate - I don't and it wasn't mentioned at my inspection

Mrs B - someone had some folding display boards that they'd bought off the internet

miffy xx

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I have never displayed my first aid certificate either ?

Angel xx

crazybones
24-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I didn't think it was a requirement to display your first aid certificate - I don't and it wasn't mentioned at my inspection

Mrs B - someone had some folding display boards that they'd bought off the internet

miffy xx

That was me. :D

http://www.ss-services.co.uk/acatalog/Display.html - scroll about halfway down to Presentation boards. They are fab because you can fold everything away at the end of the day.

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Annie they are great im going to order some stuff from there

Angel xx

venus89
25-04-2008, 06:17 AM
We have to display insurance? I have mine in my portfolio - I thought that was OK?

miffy
25-04-2008, 06:35 AM
We have to display insurance? I have mine in my portfolio - I thought that was OK?

You definitely have to display your insurance certificate

I was querying where it's stated you have to display your first aid certificate

miffy xx

christine e
25-04-2008, 07:00 AM
I understand that at the present time you do not have to display your PL ins cert but when the EYFS comes in (Sept in case anyone has forgot) then you have to display it. I didn't display my PL at last inspection but said that I knew I would have to soon. I am a bit wary of putting my certs in hallway where any Tom, Dick or Harry could read them and know that I am childminding (thinking of the door to door hawkers that sometimes come around door knocking) I put displays and my posters, certs etc on display in kitchen/dining area

Christine

sarah707
25-04-2008, 07:06 AM
You're right Christine... that's what the Standards / rules say...

But some of our members have been pulled up for not having them displayed now! :eek:

I often think we're supposed to be psychic! :D

miffy
25-04-2008, 07:40 AM
And the first aid certificate...................??????

miffy xx

venus89
25-04-2008, 08:09 AM
So not yet compulsory? Our house is so small I just can't display much stuff, and if I take it down I'll forget to put it up again.... The less I have to put up the better.

jaz
25-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I often think we're supposed to be psychic! :D

Oh No!!! - Not another qualification we need ;)

can we get a certificate for that as well?

J
x

Stanfield
25-04-2008, 09:43 PM
That was me. :D

http://www.ss-services.co.uk/acatalog/Display.html - scroll about halfway down to Presentation boards. They are fab because you can fold everything away at the end of the day.

Hi,

Its hard to see what these bords are like from the website... are they sturdy? Do they last long? Do they stand up well?
I only ask becuase they seem quite cheap!!!! (hope they are a genuine bargin!)

crazybones
25-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Hi,

Its hard to see what these bords are like from the website... are they sturdy? Do they last long? Do they stand up well?
I only ask becuase they seem quite cheap!!!! (hope they are a genuine bargin!)

They are fairly thick cardboard. They stand up fine and I am pleased with mine. I have been using 2 of them daily for about 3 months with no problems so far. I love the fact that I can fold them away of a night and store them behind the couch. I have 2 spare for later use.