PDA

View Full Version : Multicultural handmade dolls

Stanfield
24-04-2008, 06:33 PM
I posted a thread a while ago asking about persona dolls, in my search for one I found, in my opinion, something far better!
It is a handmade traditional doll made in India. The lady that makes them is German and married to a tibetan man. She has set up a small workshop to enable some young ladies a job, they are very skilled at what they do but donot have any prospects to get a job in their area.
The company is called "The Tibetan doll project". They do everything from scratch, right from the beginning, washing and carding the wool etc. By producing the dolls the aim is to promote the Tibetan culture in gentle way, so all the dolls resemble Tibetan features and clothing - and of course to create qualitative work possibilities.

I have just ordered mine and she should arrive within 3 weeks, I am really excited! I have ordered a girl but they also make boy dolls, all in traditional dress. I hope to buy a boy in the future.
If you wish to see pictures of the dolls, I can forward the email and attachments Mona sent to me, I cannot find how to attach the photos on here, but it really is worth a look- they are gourgous!
The dolls cost 20pounds with 7pounds postage-really worth the money in my opinion as they are roughly the same price as factory made dolls which, after my research, I think look mass produced and lack personality compared to these Tibetan dolls.
This is the ad I found on ebay, although they are not sold on ebay, a friend of the lady tryed to sell one but it didnt go well...

It will be sent direct from Dharamsala,India The Tibetan Bopa Dolls resemble Tibetan features, hair styles and traditional dresses and are intended to be played with by children of all ages. The dolls are robust enough to be really played with. They are roughly 35cm in height and come inside there own rucksacks. All are individually hand stitched, filled and shaped with pure Himalayan sheeps wool and the clothings made from natural materials such as silk, cotton and linen. it takes about 4 days for each doll to be completed. Each are unique and are named. This project aims to create fair and flexible work opportunities for underprivileged Tibetan women in a safe and supportive environment. The work required to make the dolls is easily learned and suitable for any women with interest in handicrafts, so it lends itself to the large amount of untrained, jobless women of the Tibetan Society in exile. The production process is designed so each women can proudly identify with her own creations. Bopa dolls are not just gifts to the receiver but also to those making them. It is a very nurturing activity, which can strengthen ones confidence and sense of achievement both lacking in many women, especially if they didn't receive any education or training or don't even speak the local language in there exile homes. A further hope is that the dolls will raise awareness about the Tibetan situation from a very different and subtle angle, able to reach people with otherwise no specific interest in tibet. The children might just ask where people with such cloths live and the parents might look for answers.

Please email me for the photos...:magnificent:

Stanfield
24-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry!!! Ive added this one twice and dont know how to delete it!?

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 09:17 PM
It is deleted no problem

Thanks for the information sounds interesting

Sounds a good price let us know when it arrives

Angel xxx

Stanfield
28-04-2008, 12:18 PM
These dolls have just been relisted on ebay if you wanted to see a photo....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150239399227&ih=005&category=91392

I will say though that this is not the most beautiful of her dolls, there are more traditionally dressed ones too...their clothes are beautiful.

Lucy

Twinkles
28-04-2008, 12:23 PM
It's lovely. I will bear it in mind when I have some money that needs spending!

avril
28-04-2008, 12:27 PM
She's lovely but at the moment no spare pennies

Avril x:)

miffy
03-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Thank you for explaining about this - just wish I had some spare cash

miffy xx

Stanfield
07-05-2008, 06:37 PM
I recieved my doll late last week, it only took about 5 days to be delivered, even though I was quoted 2-3 weeks, so I was plesently surprised when she arrived.
Her name is Wogma, she is so beautiful and unbelievably well made, all her limbs and head move and you can undress her and undo her plaits and brush / restyle her hair. She also comes in a handmade brightly coloured drawstring bag to keep her safe.
I cant wait until I can afford a boy doll from Mona.

I have just recieved this email from Mona (the doll lady), have watched the clips on you tube- they are very informative.

Hi everybody, finally you can see a few video clips of our workshop on ‘you tube’, then search dolls4tibet, and also see lots of our doll photos and workshop photos under ‘picasa’ then search dolls4tibet and for anybody who speaks italien, there is a blog on http://www.viagiinasia.com about our workshop.
Let me know wht you think of it and if you have any suggestions….
Greetings from MOna

Lucy:thumbsup:

angeldelight
07-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the update Lucy

I could not get the link to work though ?

Angel xx

Stanfield
10-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the update Lucy

I could not get the link to work though ?

Angel xx

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dolls4tibet&search_type=

Try this link...

miss muffit
10-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi what lovely dolls, it was interesting to see how they are made
thanks for sharing

miffy
10-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Thank you for the update and the link

miffy xx