PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel?

handeme
06-04-2011, 08:49 AM
How did you all feel when you first started childminding?

Did you instantly love it or did it have its moments?

c x

foxy lady
06-04-2011, 08:53 AM
i love childminding and couldnt see myself doing anything else. BUT!!!!!!!
i did have and still have my moments its very hard work but rewarding

rickysmiths
06-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Golly its so long ago I can't remember!! Honestly I Registered because I knew the Employer I had been with would stab me in the back when I returned to work, and they did but I took them to Tribunal and cleaned them out and rubbed their noses in it to boot :laughing:

I really wanted to be at home with my children but I needed to bring in a little cash to keep us afloat and so we could have a holiday. My SIL registered when she had her two so i did the same. I guess I must have enjoyed it and continue to or else I wouldn't still be here after 17yrs!:laughing:

No I really do love it. No horrible boss, no getting up at some stupid hour and having to go out and spend hours dealing with dreadful and expensive public transport or clogged roads to get to work and them home again-I leave that to dh!!

For the most part it is up to me how I plan the day, where and when we go places and I get paid for it. Is there any other work place that offers all these things? :thumbsup:

Flisspaps
06-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Knackered ;)

jane5
06-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I felt very overwhelmed to be honest, I have loads of experience with children and have grown up children as well as a 2 year old and always end up with nephews and nieces hanging around me at party's ect... but I did wonder a few weeks ago if I was doing the right thing.

My dd has found it very hard to accept that she has to share me with other lo's and as I only had babies at that time she started being very babyish. She became very hard work and I was going to stop minding.

Its 4 months now since I started and she is getting used to it and It helps that I have also got a couple her age now.

I was also exhausted at first as I was trying to be super women and I worried to much what the parents thought and I tried to keep the house spotless etc... now I accept that I work over 50 hours a week and have 3 lo's every day under 2 and a 1/2.

I decided not to put so much pressure on myself, I am a fantastic mum an excellent cm so the paperwork and housework can wait. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
06-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I was terrified initially. I went from working full time to looking after my two plus 2 others. However, I was so busy there was little time to worry. I was knackered, lost loads of weight but really enjoyed spending time with my kids. :)

pinky33
06-04-2011, 02:02 PM
I love it but it sure does have it's moments lol

dollydally
06-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm fairly new to this too. I'm only just starting to get into the swing of it after 6 weeks but I'm doubting myself less now and have interviewed a few sets of parents now which becomes less scary each time you do it! I do find it hard work but have to remind myself of the pros. I'm my own boss, can do as much or as little as I like etc etc. It suits me for now and I'm glad i'm doing it but I honestly can't see me doing it forever.

onceinabluemoon
06-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I was very confident and very idealistic!

Then I learned...

30 months later and I feel jaded and worn out.

But I work stupidly long hours and just need a break, then I'll be full of it again, lol! :laughing:

miffy
06-04-2011, 08:21 PM
Knackered ;)
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Some things don't change :D

Miffy xx

handeme
06-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

I am just coming to the end of my first 2 weeks childminding. I do think I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to be perfect and I am sure it will be much more enjoyable when my mindee has settled in fully.

c x

Vickster
06-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I think you get into the swing of it. I have been minding only four months, but feel far more confident and settled now.

Rmead
06-04-2011, 09:23 PM
I've been minding 5 weeks. The first two weeks I did found it very tough, mainly with my own LO adjusting - she's 12 months. She didn't like sharing me and was upset lots which really impacted looking after two others. Other things like nursery runs were a bit of faff at first, working out three car seats and the buggies etc but now I'm fast at doing all that. I'm feeling a lot better and more confident already, although I need a paperwork day badly! I still have bad days here and there but I guess that's the same in any job.