PDA

View Full Version : Using husband's car

Flisspaps
06-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Morning lovely people :)

I don't drive, but my husband does. I am possibly going to take a child on a Saturday - if we had the car insured for business use would we then be able to use it to take the mindee out with us (with car seat etc) with DH driving? Clearly the mindee wouldn't be left with DH on her own (despite the fact he is perfectly fine to leave with 30 children in a classroom on his own all day!) :rolleyes:

I can't see that it would be any different to us getting a taxi - just cheaper and far, far more convenient.

Otherwise, DH can take DD somewhere in the car, and I'd have to take mindee by public transport to the same place, or we don't go out at all and we have a very boring life.

I'm sure it would be permitted, just wondering if someone could confirm?

rickysmiths
06-04-2011, 08:31 AM
My husbands' car is insured for business use, for childminding.

If your dh is a teacher you may well find by calling the insurance company that he already has Class 1 business use anyway, this is usually the minimum that Teachers are insured for because they 'may' carry a school child in the car! Just make sure they are aware that you want to use it for your childminding as well.

Mouse
06-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, it's fine. I don't drive, but DH sometimes takes us in his car. We have all the suitable carseats and I make sure I fit them and strap the children in.

I was told by Ofsted that you don't need business insurance for the car, as it is DH driving his car & your childminding isn't his business. Just like a friend wouldn't need business insurance if you went in their car. Others on here said that wasn't right though & your DH would need business insurance, so it's anyone's guess really :rolleyes:

Flisspaps
06-04-2011, 08:37 AM
No, he definitely doesn't already have business use as I've checked the documents - whether or not they can carry children in their car regularly comes up in conversation at work so I know that many of his colleagues don't have it either, they end up taking the school minibus to take a child somewhere!

Thanks for your responses - Mouse, that's really interesting about him not needing it - might give Ofsted a call later and see if I can get it in writing from them!

rickysmiths
06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
No, he definitely doesn't already have business use as I've checked the documents - whether or not they can carry children in their car regularly comes up in conversation at work so I know that many of his colleagues don't have it either, they end up taking the school minibus to take a child somewhere!

Thanks for your responses - Mouse, that's really interesting about him not needing it - might give Ofsted a call later and see if I can get it in writing from them!

I am really surprised, my husband has had insurance since 1989 when he first qualfied as a teacher and I was not a cm then and we were shocked that the Insurance companies would only do business cover for him and that has continued to be so all these years.

Mouse
06-04-2011, 08:44 AM

That's a good idea. When we looked into it further (phoned the insurance company), we realised DH already had business cover anyway, so it didn't really matter. Even the insurance co said he wouldn't need it as it wasn't his business, but someone else (I think their husband worked in insurance) said you did need it. I'd check with Ofsted & your DH's insurance co :thumbsup:

jane5
06-04-2011, 09:30 AM
On the Morton Michel contracts there is a box for the parents to tick that say "You give me permission to transport your child in/on any suitable vehicle", and it also says suitable restraints ect.. so as long as they sign that you can take them in any vehicle that you decide is suitable.

Flisspaps
12-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Finally had a response from Ofsted today:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In response to your enquiry, any children being transported whilst being cared for by yourself would be classed as business use regardless of who actually owns the business. This would require the insurance of the vehicle and driver to reflect this use.

I hope you find this information helpful. However, should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.