PDA

View Full Version : NVQ3 /DHC

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Hi,

I am a little confused by the training on offer. I had to do a DHC1 as part of my training to become a childminder.

Is the DHC2, 3 etc, all part of doing an NVQ3, or is this separate.

Also, if it is one and the same, how long does it take, and appproximately how much time to you have to devote to study/planning.

Any help appreciated, as I would like to do some more training in childcare for when it becomes mandatory.

Maureen

Tatia
25-04-2008, 06:31 AM
The full DHC is a Level 3 but is not the same as an NVQ Level 3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development. The DHC is specifically for home-based carers but the NVQ3 is portable and you could use it to work in nurseries and such. I chose not to do the full DHC and instead get my NVQ3. I think it depends on your long-term career goals, really.

miffy
25-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I agree with Tatia - the NVQ3 is much more use as you can work outside of childminding say in playgroup or nursery

If you're not sure what you want to do in the future that is what I would go for

miffy xx

devoncm
25-04-2008, 06:35 AM
As far as i am aware-told this when i done my unit 1 exam in march- that it is equivelent to NVQ3,and if you have it it can get you work in nurseries etc.
If i am wrong do let me know.

miffy
25-04-2008, 06:36 AM
I agree with Tatia - I think the DHC is only for home-based carers

miffy xx

mumtodaniel
25-04-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks, just got call from Dev Officer this morning to tell me I passed DHC1, and I asked her, and she confirmed this to.

Thanks for help. Going to check out doing NVQ, apparantly in some places you only have to go to college one night a week for a term only and then get assessed in your home, this would suit me rather than a whole year.

Maureen