PDA

View Full Version : Over 8's

JennyM
05-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I am confused for a change! :D

Am I right that we are allowed to look after over 8's and it does not affect the number of children we can look after?

Please help, I am busy filling in my FIS forms to post and really want to get them in the post in the morning.

sarah707
05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes and no...

Over 8s don't come within childminding ratios however you will have a limit imposed on you by your insurance company and that varies depending on whether you buy your insurance from NCMA or Morton Michel.

Also if you go over a certain number of children in your house at the same time you might need to apply for planning permission. You should check with your local council planning office before making a numbers decision.

hth :D

JennyM
05-04-2011, 07:36 PM
That is very helpful thank you. I just checked my NCMA insurance, also I only plan to look after one full time under 5 and one or two five and above so should be fine.

Could you please help me with another question too if you don't mind?

On my Registration Certificate it says

when caring for 4-5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded.

What on earth does that mean??

tulip0803
05-04-2011, 07:39 PM
As Sarah said there may be a planning rule in your area. I am only allowed a maximum of 6 mindees of any age which was a huge improvement on the previous planning rule.:rolleyes: If I want to go over I have to apply for planning permission. TBH I wouldn't even want more than that if I could have them:p

I think it was minders inKent that were told that they could only have 6 children under 16 including their own children.

sarah707
05-04-2011, 08:11 PM
On my Registration Certificate it says

when caring for 4-5 year old children who are in full time education, may increase the number in the early years age group by the number of children in full time education, providing the maximum number is not exceeded.

What on earth does that mean??

When a child starts full time 10 sessions a week school (not settling in) then you can take on another child in the early years age range as well.

Because once they are in full time school they count in your over 5s ratios instead of under 5s even if they are still 4.

I hope that makes more sense! :D

JennyM
05-04-2011, 08:47 PM
It does, thank you so much. There is just so much to take in!

Thanks to you too tulip.