PDA

View Full Version : Have had to close but no back-up

VINASOL
05-04-2011, 07:26 AM
as the title says i have had to close today because my son has been vomiting until 2am this morning. he is never ill so it's quite a big thing (he is 8).

anyway, most parents OK but one parent wants details of my b/up CM. I don't actually have one...what does one do in this situation?

Anyone else in same boat?

I know 2 CMs really well and both asked them but theycouldn't do it...so frustrating

TammyN
05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
my backup minder is effectively full, i see it as an emergency backup (whilst you contacted parents/went to hospital/etc) if you ever needed it not for sickness, iyswim?
i do know a few cm that i would contact if parents asked me i suppose but most don't have spaces, especially in the hols. don't worry too much, hope ur ds gets well soon, im sure they could find alternative if they tried.

mama2three
05-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Just say you have contacted both of your back ups but unfortunately they have no spaces available today.

Pipsqueak
05-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I have 2/3 very good minder friends who are my back ups but they cannot guarantee spaces at short notice (although have been great in emergencies)

i have other minders who I can pass on their numbers to parents if required but its not a particular recommendation and again in no way guaranteed

hope your son feels better soon

Chimps Childminding
05-04-2011, 08:02 AM
My back-up cm is June, but depending on which day it is she wouldn't always have a space!! There isn't really much you can do, if you gave the mum a list of 20 or so minders there is no guarantee they could fit her lo in! That is where grandparents etc come in useful :rolleyes: Ok before I get shot down in flames I know not everyone has gp's to hand, but we are (usually) a one man band and these things happen so mum needs to have an action plan ready!!

Hope your ds feels better soon :thumbsup:

Andrea08
05-04-2011, 08:08 AM
blame mrs Ofsted and say you contact your back-up but they have no places and can only help if it was an emergency mrs o says we are not allowed to go over our nos. for sickness cover..

do your LA have a list of childcare in your area give her their no.

(((Huggz))) for your son xx

gegele
05-04-2011, 08:24 AM
if minders you know have space you can't magic them a solution. I know it's not ideal but that's the way it is with children and childcare.

hope your son gets better soon

:thumbsup:

candy cat
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
all of mine are told to have their own back up plans as i won't recommend just anyone as if any issues i don't want it coming back on me....they were fine with this.

VINASOL
05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
thanks to veryone who responded. i tried to help her out...that's all I can do I guess....

...am not going to feel guilty about it (well, not much anyway)

youarewhatyoueat
05-04-2011, 03:28 PM
My husband has to take a day off work to look after our children so I can work. I usually stay out for the morning and then my children can stay upstairs when we are home.

VINASOL
05-04-2011, 04:02 PM
My husband has to take a day off work to look after our children so I can work. I usually stay out for the morning and then my children can stay upstairs when we are home.

usually, I could have done this. However, DHs job/working hours /location have changed so there was no way he could take the day off.

jane5
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
The last thing I would want to do if my dd or myself were ill is to start ringing around other cm's to see if they had a place, so I tick the box in the mm contract that I dont find alternative care.

I hope he is feeling better :thumbsup: