PDA

View Full Version : Is this a schema?

buzzy bee
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I have a 3 year old mindee who loves using fancy dress, especially hats... he loves emptying the toy box and climbing in, and likes hiding in small places. He often will curl up in a tiny ball on the floor or sofa...

also (not sure if this is at all related!!) when he paints, he covers the entire paper with paint.

Does this sound like an enclosure / containing schema? And any ideas what I can do for next steps?

Thank you! :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 09:21 PM
It sounds like a schema - which is a repeated series of actions or patterns which helps a child learn.

You need Sarah or Blaze they are experts on schematic behaviors

they are fascinating - have you read a book called Again Again?

google Schema and you will get lots of into.

Gherkin
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Def sounds like schema. Would have to see him doing it at different times and in different contexts to confirm but from your description it sounds like it.

Maybe to extend it get him BIG cardboard boxes to use, possibly decorate them to make them more interesting and feed his imagination.

mama2three
05-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Sounds very like an envelopment schema. Ive got a list of other activities to offer children displaying various schemas somewhere , will see if I can get it to attach later x

The Juggler
05-04-2011, 06:29 AM
my little one who has a similar schema loves different sized boxes and will put everything in them. Also she loves trolleys and buggies and has developed her this containing/enveloping schema into a transporting one - when they combine these schemas this further develops their learning.

So big tipper trucks or moveable items that they can enclose things in will work and support this schema.

JulieA
05-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Yes, does sound like enclosing/enveloping - including the painting.

Other activities you could try are serveral bags to put things into or a set of Russian dolls (not correct term these days, but I can't think of the right word at this time in the morning!)

Donkey
05-04-2011, 06:51 AM
yep, does definately sound like and enclosing/envelopment schema

see if you can get 'threads of thinking' by cathy nutbrown, really great read!!

my dd is currently exploring envelopment and I researched schematic behaviour for my FD

next steps for my dd were exploring letter writing and then putting into an envelope and posting.

den building

russian dolls (the ones that get bigger and smaller)

sarah does a fantastic e-book on schema

well worth the buy :)