PDA

View Full Version : Our first theme. help with ideas

sarah32
24-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Im planning our first theme so went for minibeasts as seems popular and I though we could tie it in with investigating in the garden for insects.

So far Ive printed off some frog masks.
Pictures of insects to colour in
Honey bees song
Lifecycle of butterfly to put together
Life cycle of a frog to put together.
I was going to cut out some butterfly templetes to paint.
Got books from the library showing pictures.

Thats all Ive come up with so far so would love some help.

Please bear in mind this is for 2 x 1 year olds and a 2 year old that until she came to me has never done anything like this before. :(

thanks

Tatia
24-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Can you make flies on a log to eat? Cream or soft cheese inside a celery stick with raisins on top.:D

sarah32
24-04-2008, 04:41 PM
And Ive just found the rspca pictures and there was minibeasts and life cycles in there, was reminded by the rspca post.:)

Thinking what craft things I could do???? very simple things otherwise I'll end up doing it all.:(

cherry
24-04-2008, 04:48 PM
You might find some things to help you on this site

http://www.first-school.ws/theme/animals/insects/ladybug.htm

littlepixies
24-04-2008, 05:08 PM
we have just done this and made some huge bumble bee picture collages using cotton wool dabbed in yellow pait which we mixed with pva to stick on for the stripes :) and googly eyes and we stuck silver foil on two pettle shapeds for wings and hung them up :)

i cut out two butterfly shapes which are quite big then foled in half. children painted one side and foldeded over ather half
so paint is on both sides.

painted toilet rolls green added some googly eyes andused pipe cleaner through front by eyes to make tentercle things

painted a paper plate black stuck on dangly crept paper for legs which we counted of course and then added googly eyes and hung up

cut out a shape like a lady bird, colage red with a black painted head i uses tissue paper and water.... rip tissue paper in to bits medium size then let children dip in water to lay on bug body then when they are dry you can pick off the tissue paper and the colour has stained paper :) kids loved it then done finger painting for the spots on back to count oh and not to forget googly eyes

mad bug wings for role paly corner with children got an old wire coat hanger, then streched over a pair of tights and then tied in knot at bottom to secure then got children to use glitter glue and sequins to decorate and used elastic to make arm loops to place on back!

buy some compost and put in a tray or sand pit the buy some bugs from cheap shop or i think elc do them and hide them in the dirt kids loved this:)

hope these ideas are useful :) good luck let us know how you get on

son77
24-04-2008, 07:59 PM
You could do a simple collage, cut out some mini beasts on card then use some grass, leaves, flower petals, bark etc etc & stick them to your card.

Gets them out in the fresh air too!

sarah32
25-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Some good ideas, thanks.

Im going to plan over the weekend to start on monday, should be interesting.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Chell
25-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Hungry Caterpillar story would tie in with what you've already mentioned.