PDA

View Full Version : would you buy it if the parent asked

foxy lady
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
i give the children a drink of milk twice a day, i have had a new child start he is just 12 months old. the parent has asked me to give him organic milk only and said i should buy some for him. the thing is i usually just buy normal full cream milk not organic. would you buy it in for him , she also said if i didnt buy it in for him she would buy it for him but i would need to take the price of an organic pint of milk of his bill for each day of the week he comes 5 days what would you do

mrs coops
04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
i personally wouldn't. If she wants specific milk then i think she should supply it. hth

karensmart4
04-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Personally I think she's got a cheek saying she's going to deduct the money from the fees :(

I would think that if she wants something you don't supply as the norm, then she should supply it full stop :panic:

sarah707
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
If parents have specific food requests I will try to support them. For example, I will change meat to vegetarian options and where possible give children food they enjoy.

However my policy says that I do not supply food or drink for weaning babies and ask parents to provide in case of allergies, intolerances, confusion for the child etc.

Once children are at an age when they can join in with our menus then I feed them... but only with what is on my menu. My menu is written with their input and I never knowingly put food in front of them that they dislike.

If parents have extra food or drink they want me to buy then fine, I will get it as part of my weekly shop and bill them for it.

I think you need to reconsider your eating / drinking / food policy :D

breezy
04-04-2011, 07:00 PM
I might have considered it if she hadnt been so stroppy about it :laughing:

Hebs
04-04-2011, 07:04 PM

ditto

do you get your milk from a milk supplier?? as they supply organic at no extra charge :thumbsup:

foxy lady
04-04-2011, 07:06 PM
no tescos lol

babs
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
what about just charging the extra it costs to buy ie knocking off normal cost of a pint from organic one...

Mouse
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Just what I was thinking! I was all ready to say that I'd probably supply it, then read about her saying she'd deduct it from the bill and changed my mind :laughing:

Cheeky moo!

Mouse
04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
If you don't already do it, claim back the cost of 1/3pt a day through the Nursery Milk Scheme

http://www.nurserymilk.co.uk/

Then I would agree to but organic milk, but tell mum she will have to pay the difference between the price of a normal pint & the price of an organic pint. Does the baby drinkk a whole pint a day?

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM
On the basis that you are being blackmailed I would refuse.

However as a parent I buy organic milk and can see why she may prefer that for her baby as its less likely to contain pesticides or cow vaccines so if I am honest I would probably buy the milk...

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
but why do parents treat us like this.... would they talk to the head teacher in this manner... i dont think so... sarah said what i was thinking but if i couldnt get organic from my shop then i would ask her to supply it and if she dont like it tell her to get on her bike and find an other mug.

nell57
04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
On the basis that you are being blackmailed I would refuse.

However as a parent I buy organic milk and can see why she may prefer that for her baby as its less likely to contain pesticides or cow vaccines so if I am honest I would probably buy the milk...

Just out of curiosty, how much difference in cost is there between, non organic and organic?

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Just out of curiosty, how much difference in cost is there between, non organic and organic?

That's a bit hard to answer because it depends on where you buy it, the brands you buy and the size you buy...

But for example I pay about £1.10 to £1.20for 1 litre of organic semi skimmed milk and about the same for filtered semi skim milk whereas I think ordinary milk is about £1 flat so probably about 10p per litre but it really does depend where you buy as some shops put a huge mark up on organic food

sweets
04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
at the risk of not wanting to lose a full time child over a pint of milk then i would probably just buy it.
even though i do think that mum should supply it.

i would draw the line at it only being milk tho and watch out that mum doesnt expect all the childs food to be organic, if she does then i would ask her to supply it hereslf at her own cost.

georgie456
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
but why do parents treat us like this.... would they talk to the head teacher in this manner... i dont think so... sarah said what i was thinking but if i couldnt get organic from my shop then i would ask her to supply it and if she dont like it tell her to get on her bike and find an other mug.

I agree completely.

candy cat
04-04-2011, 08:24 PM
This would put me off this parent straight away.....tell her to go milk her 'organic' cow:D

miffy
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
This would put me off this parent straight away.....

It would me too.

I would have to say no (and I'd probably enjoy doing it!)

Miffy xx

acorns
04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Depending on how much I wanted the work, it would put me off of this parent. She saying this now, what'll she be like in future? She has the right to express a preference & you must consider if you could meet her preference (as you are:) ) but for her to demand it in this way, that is another thing.

The Juggler
04-04-2011, 09:15 PM
i think this mum has approached you in a very rude way and I'd be very angry with her. HOwever, in the grand scheme of things, a 4 pint of organic is not much more than a 4 pint of normal full cream hon (not at Tesco).

I would buy it and tell her you'll add the difference to her invoice ;) no, just kidding. I would probably just buy it but explain this is a partnership and being told what you will buy/not buy or supply is not on. Obviously as Sarah says we need to be very clear in our policies about what we provide/don't provide but unless there is specific religioius, cultural, allergy reasons this child can't have the same as everyone else I don't think there is a case.

pinky33
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Ok hit me now!!!!

How is she gonna know if it's organic or not? Is she gonna check your fridge every day?

Ouch who hit me? Lol

Flisspaps
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I would say no, you are offering a perfectly good alternative.

It is her preference that her child has organic milk but it is not essential. If/when you provide meals for this child, will you be expected to offer organic fruit, veg and meat at no extra cost?

If it were for a medical issue - eg she requested lactose free milk as her child was allergic or intolerant, that would be different as you could regard that as an inclusion issue.

Dragonfly
05-04-2011, 10:32 AM
I would agree with Flisspaps (I do have organic milk here) unless for medical reasons i wouldnt provide different to what you have already.

Tealady
05-04-2011, 12:26 PM
I supply all food and drink in my fee. I state that I will do organic but there is a surcharge for this. Funnily enough, nobody has every requested it.

mufftie
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
[QUOTE=Hebs;902976]

I'd sign up for your free milk and have it delivered

mufftie
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Ok hit me now!!!!

How is she gonna know if it's organic or not? Is she gonna check your fridge every day?

Ouch who hit me? Lol

Ditto lol to be fair it's a bit extreme to expect that

Milli147
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I would buy it.

....And then increase my fees to cover it as soon as I could ;)

dollydally
05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
and then when he is eating full meals....

"..and from now on, Tarquin would like lobster thermidor as his main followed by Chocolate crumble with a raspberry coulis, all organic, and his plate needs to be gold leafed... and If I need to supply, then I'll deduct that from your rate"... :laughing: Leaving you with zilch! But then we do it for love don't we, not to make a living?!

Sorry, taking the mick there.... I'd probably end up supplying it to be honest if it wasn't that much different in price. But where will it end....