PDA

View Full Version : Just having after schoolies...

porky1979
04-04-2011, 10:44 AM
After 3 years of minding I have decided to get another job but still do minding after school, just wanted to hear what people thought or if anyone else does this.
After careful consideration and input from my dh and 2 ds's I have decided that I want another job. After lots of applications forms sent out and only 1 interview, I have managed to get a job 4 nights a week which will suit us fine, but I still want to look after the kids I have after school, which will be fine as its only term time only.
I am feeling a bit sad/upset over the lo's I look after during the day and am dreading giving my letter of notice to them in a couple of weeks. I know it is the right thing for me and my family but I keep questioning if what I am doing is right, i guess i am just worried about letting people down but of course I will help them find someone else. I just do no think it is fair to carry on with this if my heart is not in it like it used to be.
Not after any advice really just wanted to hear from fellow minders what they thought and if anyone does actually just look after after schoolers and how it works for them.
Thanks for reading x

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi hun, it is difficult so say good bye to our LO's but if this is right for you go for it, in the future im thinking of working for just after school children, a sort of semi retirement lol as i know i will need to keep working to pay the bills etc,

good luck and all the best in your new job xxx

lma
04-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm planning almost the same next year. I have 3 after schoolers who I have full time during the holidays. I have my own daughter 2 and i have 2 mindees 4yrs and 2 years. Th 4yr old is leaving me come september to attend a school I cannot collect from and both my daughter and other mindee are 2 and will be starting nursery next year. I'm not looking to fill my spaces as I like the balance of things right now and we can live on what I make and my partners wage.

I have a home based catery business which I run along side my childminding business and am hoping to do that during the days whilst all my kids are at school. However you never know how things can turn out as I have one previous parent wanting me to care for her new baby in sept and one of my current parents has informed me that she and her partner are trying for another baby. Both sets of parents are lovely and their children are a pleasure to mind so I could be tempted to put off my plans for a little while just yet????

Good luck I'm sure as long as you give parents enough notice they will be fine. If your heart isn't in it anymore I'm sure they will understand:)

The Juggler
04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
if it's the right thing for you go for it. personally I have moved away from afterschoolies, not intentionally, they left and those contracts I've picked up have either been just before school or older ones who leave the minute we get through the door and if I'm honest, I prefer it.

But if you need to work and bump up your income with minding after school then go for it. Just consider that if you are going back to work and not seeing your children as much they might be less inclined to 'share' you after school but if you are working only between school hours I'm sure they will be fine with it.:thumbsup: