PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to be a 'flexible childminder'?

pinkbutterfly
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Just as the title says ... what do YOU think a flexible childminder is?

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
from my point of view, someone who can work withthe parent with reasonable t&c and notice on any required needs

sounds silly i know

Ripeberry
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Doormat? :mad:

snufflepuff
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Here here ripeberry!

I think from some parents points of view, a flexible cm issomeone who is willing to do what the parent wants, when they want it, and preferably for no extra fee.

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
I am a flexible childminder I can do the splits, lift my leg to my ear and full plie! lol

I think a flexible childminder is someone who considers all angles of a parents request (including the childs and minders own angles) and within these constraints tries accomodates those needs/wishes.

ie
A while ago - rather than loose a client totally - which would have been in neither of our interests I jiggled the fees around when the client hit finanacial problems

pinkbutterfly
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Doormat? :mad:
lol that made me laugh
To elaborate ... had a parent visit last week ... she said she had a lo with CM 3 days a week (in early years age group) and if her OH turned up a few hours early she got a refund. :eek: Also ... the minder lived a few doors away and during the weekends when the LO was in the garden would throw a tantrum if he heard the minder in her garden because he wanted to go and play with her. So she'd take him for 2-3 hours without a charging them :eek: There were other flexible terms they mentioned but these two stuck out as unreasonable to me.
I will never call myself flexible then ...

pinkbutterfly
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
In my eyes flexible is a bit of give and take. I would be happy to take a shift worker's child on or give dinner if a parent is running late and the child is hungry ... or have them on a day I don't usually have them if I have space. I thought that was flexible. Well obviously not.

caz3007
04-04-2011, 10:09 AM
lol that made me laugh
To elaborate ... had a parent visit last week ... she said she had a lo with CM 3 days a week (in early years age group) and if her OH turned up a few hours early she got a refund. :eek: Also ... the minder lived a few doors away and during the weekends when the LO was in the garden would throw a tantrum if he heard the minder in her garden because he wanted to go and play with her. So she'd take him for 2-3 hours without a charging them :eek: There were other flexible terms they mentioned but these two stuck out as unreasonable to me.

I consider myself flexible, but wouldnt do that :D

I have a family and the parents do shift work. At this point in time I dont need or want to be full, so it suits me that we have a minimum amount of hours and she lets me know the week before what she needs next week. I also have another another mum who is setting up her own business, so occasionally needs me to have LO extra. I am prepared to do this, at this time, but if I needed to be more full in the future, then obviously this arrangement would work.

Thats what I consider flexible, but I have made it quite clear that Tuesdays are my day off and even though they have begged me on occasion I just wont do it

caz3007
04-04-2011, 10:11 AM
If that CM is so flexible, then why is the parent looking elsewhere

pinkbutterfly
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
They moved ... that's why.

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 10:17 AM
lol that made me laugh

now that IS doormat. that is not flexible at all.:panic:

Mollymop
04-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Flexible would be a childminder who doesn't mind working late at short notice, doesn't mind parent dropping off early at short notice, is ok not to hold spaces open for children who's parent are shift workers, that sort of thing

lorimac
04-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Someone whos willing to 2 "bend over backwards" to give parents what they want, when they want it.

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Someone whos willing to 2 "bend over backwards" to give parents what they want, when they want it.

Yep, this is pretty much what I would say too.

NO way would I be taking on a child on the weekend just because he acted like a brat, and I have mindees just down the road too - thankfully their mother wouldn't dream of asking me to have them!

mushpea
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
to me it means working late/early at short notice,, having them extra days/hours if possible at short notice, giving time to pay if having finacial difficutlys.

why do you ask?

HELEN10
05-04-2011, 07:33 AM
I will never call myself flexible then ...[/QUOTE]

Ha, so roughly translated she wants her 'pound of flesh' and a whole lot more besides, including a few hours over the weekend so she can shop, chill or whatever else she might like to do!

Incredible!!!!

carol cameron
05-04-2011, 12:56 PM
It never ceases to amaze me that childminders are the only profession that are supposed to love their job so much that we will all work for free!!

I love my job but if I won millions on the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't keep on doing it for fun- sorry if that offends anyone but that's the reality.:)

There is no other job in the world I would rather do but I need to provide for MY family too and so many parents seem to forget that. Let's face it how many parents would work for our hourly/ daily rate AFTER expenses ? Not many, I guess.

Carol M
05-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm with the "bend over backwards " brigade :laughing:
I am often amazed at what parents think flexible exactly means. Yes, I am willing to do extras if it is possible, but parents still think that I will do whatever is required even if it is going against what has been agreed in the contract or that they have no thought to my other commitments.
Who am I to argue, I'm only a childminder :angry: :angry:
Carol xx