PDA

View Full Version : No tumble drier

snufflepuff
04-04-2011, 07:59 AM
This will sound silly......
We have a washer dryer and yesterday the drier part of it packed up. The clothes are coming out very warm but still wet.
We can't afford a new machine, and will obviously continue to use the washing line when I can, but what should I do when it's wet outside? I know the obvious answer is use clothes airers and the radiators, just as I used to do to avoid using the drier. But as a childminder i'm not so sure. It doesn't look nice having clothes hung everywhere- plus i'd be constantly picking it up after the LOs have pulled it down!
Those of you without tumble driers- what do you do?

amirose
04-04-2011, 08:01 AM
I dry my clothes in the bedroom out of the way and I also use over the bath airers which again keeps them out of the way. No denying its a pain though! Bed sheets dry over the top of doors :thumbsup:

sweets
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
i do have a tumbler but rarley use it, its mainly used for towels as i like them soft :laughing:

i avoid putting things on radiators as it makes the room damp, i might put one or 2 items on but i never cover them.

my spare bedroom is south facing so it gets very warm so i tend to wash little and often and hang clothes on an airer in there.

i wouldnt want airers downstairs because as you say they dont look nice and kids would be constantly pulling bits off.

rickysmiths
04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
I usually put things out when the mindees have gone home. |I also stand an airer in my bath out of the way and now I have a downstair shower room with a walk in shower which I can stand 2 airers in. I have never had a drier and never had a problem.

sarah707
04-04-2011, 08:16 AM
I put up the airer in a spare bedroom and have the window wide open.

I have a dehumidifier that I bought years ago and run that overnight - it's very cheap to run and is great for drying clothes.

Hth :D

kel1983
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
We have a tumble drier but only use it to dry damp clothes or to dry something quick.

We hang the clothes on an airer in the spare room and on hangers from the curtain rail. We also have a few things on the raditors around the house during the evenings and over the banister. I hate trying to get washing dry on a wet day.

I love it on a nice day when I can get it hung out side. And I can get in the spare room without trying to get round the airer.

snufflepuff
04-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Putting airers in the bath is a good idea. There's nowhere else they can go really, theres no space in our room or the spare room, and the children use my sons room.
I love line dried clothes, love pegging it out....shame we don't often have the weather for it.

Flisspaps
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
I put it on maidens and on the radiators once mindees have gone home. It's not the most attractive look but it's functional. When it's dry enough, I use the lines in the garden though, so much nicer!

charleyfarley
04-04-2011, 08:45 AM
We have a tumble drier that is stored away nicely in the attic bedroom, that's how much we use it :D

I suppose we will start using it one day but for now I use the rads and a clothes airer. It's much better now the nicer weather is here :thumbsup:

Carol xx

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
If you need a dryer have a look on freecycle and places like gumtree.

I am lucky enough to be able to have my airers in inconspicuous places - mind you my tumbler feels like it constantly on!:rolleyes:

JCrakers
04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a tumble drier in the gargage but its never used....too much electricity

I always use a large airer that is usua;lly in the kitchen or utility room..but it could eaily be in the bedroom or bathroom upstairs.

becky

appleblossom
04-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I have one of the old fashioned drying racks which pull up to the ceiling. It's in the playroom (which used to be the dining room). Once the washing is on and it's pulled up to the ceiling you don't notice it. I don't put big stuff like sheets and bath towels on during minding hours as they dangle too much. Being high up the washing gets all the heat which rises to the ceiling; so it dries really quickly.

littletreasures
04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I got my tumble drier off eBay about 7 years ago for a fiver. It's kept outside in the garage and only gets used for underwear and socks, duvet covers, towels during the winter. Everything else goes on radiators. I do most of my washing over the weekend so it's not hanging bat when I've got mindees.