PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a fireguard?

Boris
03-04-2011, 07:36 PM
I have an electric fire. It's a log burner effect thing that operates like a fan heater. It is never hot to the touch even when in use although I am careful with my own kids when its on. I would never use it when minders are about.

I have cushions along the hearth just in case the children fall over. My youngest is 15 months and I manage perfectly well without one.

I personally think they look awful and don't really want one but do I need one??? I have done a risk assessment on it and said that it will not be plugged in or used when minded children are present and hearth is covered.

Pipsqueak
03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
There is no law saying you have to have a fireguard. You HAVE to keep children safe and protected from harm so providing you can prove that you do this adequately in an alternative manner then no you don't have to have one.

However, only you can ultimately decide if you need a fireguard.

snufflepuff
03-04-2011, 08:29 PM
We have a fireguard- I had it before minding though. As soon as my son could move he went straight for the fire. We never use it so it's not a risk in that way but he would try to eat the coals/ roll them across the carpet. I didn't fancy replacing the carpets (or having the ccrub coal off my son, lol!) so got the guard. It doesn't look nice at all but it does come in handy as an extra shelf, lol! I tend to keep my notebook and diary on it during the week, and put paintings on it to dry.

westbrom44
03-04-2011, 08:33 PM
I dont have a fireguard and the Ofsted inspector never mentioned it. I never use the fire as it is more of a feature but have central heating.

janush
03-04-2011, 08:45 PM
I've never had a fireguard for any of my 3 inspections but I have always risk assessed the fire and justified why i've not needed one.:)

clare's bears
03-04-2011, 09:26 PM
ofsted did say to me last week u only need a fireguard when fire is in use

ziggy
04-04-2011, 07:33 AM
I never use fire but was told had to have fireguard because of hearth

caz3007
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
I choose to have a fireguard as had one when DS was small, like someone else said its an extra shelf and I also have my diary and any Daily Diaries on it. I must admit at xmas it did look nice without it though

karen m
04-04-2011, 09:41 AM
I was told i needed a fireguard even though my fire was just a feature and i used my central heating,in the 2 years i lived in my house i can count on 1 hand how many times i used fire then it would be if i came downstairs during the night unable to sleep obviously not going to put heating on then

Boris
04-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I'll leave it and see how I get on. xx

CJstar
13-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Hello, i just wondered how you got on with ofsted, regarding a fireguard. I'm still setting up so i'm looking into any saftey measures, i also hate the idea of having a fireguard as they arent the nicest looking. Did ofsted mention anything? My fire is a gas fire but is never used, i have central heating an would rather use that than the fire.

Mamma4Ya
14-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I was wondering the same thing, as I have a coal effect fire with a small guard infront of it not a safety guard. However we never use the fire its just in case of emergencies really for when the boiler breaks down. We have only had to use it for this twice in eight years although we do like to use it now and again in winter on cold winter nights as it makes the room all cosy. :)

Greengrass74
14-08-2011, 04:09 PM
As long as you have done a risk assesment and you are happy that there is no risk or that you have in place things to get rid of the risk (i.e you never turn on the fire) then you will be ok and Ofsted cannot say anything.

Optimalstar
14-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't use my fires so don't have a fireguard and my risk assessments reflect that. However I might consider one if it was the only way to keep a child from eating the decorative coal which is a risk, however my 2 year old has never bothered with it.

When I had my pre-reg visit she never mentioned a fireguard but I did ask about radiator covers as I do use them and all she said was to teach the children the dangers of them. If the children were too young or it was a problem she suggested moving furniture to make the radiators inaccessible and to turn them to a low/safer setting.

I guess it would be difficult to move furniture to hide a fire but my point is make children aware of the dangers and if it's a problem put something in place - I intend to redo my risk assessments as I acquire new children because they may be younger or have different needs to my own or any I have. That's also mentioned in my risk assessments - they'll be reviewed annually unless there is a need to do them before then.

Hope that makes some sense, presently entertaining my ds - 10 months old, so a little distracted.

Sam x

miffy
15-08-2011, 06:56 AM
I've not had a fireguard for years but I never use the fire when I'm childminding and the hearth is protected by toy boxes in front of it. This is all in my RA's and has never been an issue at inspections.

Miffy xx

Boris
06-09-2011, 07:33 PM
I still haven't got one and have kept cushions on the hearth. I've had no problems. I haven't had Ofsted here yet but my DW didn't mention it and nor have any parents. xx

primula
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I just put the coffee table with toys etc in front of the fireplace just incase they run or get pushed into it. seems to do the trick, so far!

Mamma4Ya
07-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Mmmmm I have given this much more thought and although I may not need one, I think I am going to get one as it will protect mindees from hurting themselves on the hearth and in the event of the boiler breaking down I would still be able to keep the little ones warm without any worries. :D