PDA

View Full Version : I really need to man up and speak up

QueenoftheSouth
03-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I hope this is int eh correct place, as I am new here
I have just started minding again after a 3 year break.
I currently look after 2 siblings 10 hours a day.
The mum hasn't yet paid me, she's 4 days overdue now. Previosuly I had similar situations and I ended up taking them to court, but don't want to get to that stage if I can help it.
I was off Friday,and got a text from parents saying that she was "busy" and hadn't had time to transfer the money into my bank account. Then I got another text yesterday saying that she had visiitors so couldn't do it, but would do it today, but as yet hasn't done so.

In case you are all wondering why she texted me, instead of calling, she doesn't have a landline and my mobile isn't good for getting a signal for people calling, also I wasn't at home yesterday so even if she had rung my landline I wouldn't be in. Also, I feel hat she was trying to avoid me.

I had a feeling this would happen as she is a neighbour and has been complaining to me, my husband and other neighbours that they are skint.
So I guess what I'm asking is, how can i broach the subject tomorrow, and I also need to tell her husband when he drops the mindees off that if payment isn't forthcoming then under the terms of my contract I have the right to refuse to care for them - but again I don't want to have to do that

Pipsqueak
03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Ok you say you don't want to refuse care, and you don't want to go through the hassle of chasing your money through the courts....

well you could just let it go.......

OR

you can toughen up and TELL the parent(s) that you want the cash in your hand by close of business tomorrow for the outstanding. Otherwise you will be refusing care.

In the interim - devise a late payment policy and tell them that you are implementing this. If they are late with payment again then you will have no option but to request cash payments for now on as well.

Also get payment in advance NEVER in arrears and clamp down HARD the moment the start to fuff you around with money.

Tough if they are skint - they should manage their financial affairs better - do they think you are a ruddy charity worker?

Susana0600
03-04-2011, 08:25 PM
I would call them or go to their house to talk personally, bank transfer does not take to much time or finally they can get cash from the cash machine, and also I would give them again a copy of the policy of payment.

The Juggler
04-04-2011, 01:25 PM
if she is a neighbour I might have been tempted to go round - exactly how long does an internet transfer take - 2 mins :panic: :angry: .

today you tell her she transfers the money today or gives you the cash or you will be unable to care for her child until she pays up to date. Tell her you understand everyone is tight financially right now - including you -but you have bills to pay also and would she like to pay for any charges you incur due to her late payments.

Remind her she wouldn't go to the shops and buys stuff and tell them she'll pay them next week ;)