PDA

View Full Version : Potty training - advice please!

buzzy bee
03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
I've never done any potty training before and I'm just wondering what you do when a mindee is newly potty trained? What about when we're out and about using public loos etc? The public ones aren't particularly nice where I live so I'm not sure its very hygenic for them to use them but I guess they'll have to... all my mindees have been in nappies up until now so never had to face this issue before! Do you have to keep reminding them etc?

angiemog
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I have had 4 of my mindees potty trained this year. It's been a bit of a mixture, one mum took 2 weeks off to potty train her little boy, 2 other girls were 2 1/2 so had relatively good bladder control anyway and another 2 year old has just started. I have been staying close to home the first week and then taking note of how long a child can go between wee's. I make sure all of them go just before we leave. I carry a portable potty with me. If we are going to toddlers or a group, outing, they will all wee again when we get there and again before we go home. It has worked for me. As yet we haven't had any accidents while we have been out, but the portable potty has been used while we were at the park.
I would say stay at home until they can go at least an hour. In early days sit them on the potty every 10-20 mins and slowly make that longer. I have found it easier for them to have a t-shirt and pants on while they are at home. And yes you do have to remind them but after I would say around 3-4 weeks they generally ask.
good Luck. x

blue bear
03-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I stay at home for a week, start on the monday getting them to go every now and again by Wednesday if they are not asking at least on the odd occasion I stop and try again in a couple of weeks. Usually done and dusted in a week as long as they are ready.
I try to encourage using toilet more than potty as it makes it easier when put and about