PDA

View Full Version : Would you charge an enhanced fee?

ma7ie
24-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I've had a query to mind a 3yr old boy from 12.15 until 3.15 on a friday afternoon so mum can go on a course. This will be paid for by the course organisers.

In this area I can only charge 2.75 per hour as that is the going rate. It hardly seems worth bothering about for less than £10, but I really can't afford to turn down business at the moment.

Would you charge an enhanced fee of say £5 per hour due to the small amount of hours and the fact that he would be taking up an afternoon? The mother won't be paying for it so it probably won't bother her and the course is only for the next 5 weeks.:)

Banana
24-04-2008, 01:55 PM
You should explain that you have a minimum hours policy (if you dont have one type one up now) stating that minimum hours on a any contract are 6,8,10 etc... whatever you are happy with. My minimum is now 8 as anything under this isnt really worth it when a child takes up a space

x

ma7ie
24-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks Banana.

Are parents willing to pay a minimum hours charge in your opinion?

Hope you don't mind me asking but what sort of stuff do you put in your minimum hours policy?

Thanks

Banana
24-04-2008, 02:07 PM
It just states that due to registration restrictions on numbers of children i can care for, I cannot give a place to a child on a contract of less than 8 hours. If they require less hours they are still welcome to place the child in my care but payment for the contracted 8 hours will be required.

I say a bit about I appreciate that this may seem unfair but unfortunatley I am not in a position to offer any less hours than this.

At the end of the day if she is really not happy you could always decrease the hours (just this once)as a special favour - that way you wont totally lose out butt ry and stick to your guns and like you say she isnt having top pay for it herself

xx

Banana
24-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Oh - and Yes.

I have found parents that have been happy with this although currently all ny contracts are for over 8 hours anyway

x

miffy
24-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I agree - the hours are so few it wouldn't be worth it unless you charge for a minimum number of hours which I think sounds better than asking for a higher rate per hour

Good luck - you never know what might come from it

miffy xx

ma7ie
24-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you. Never been good a wording things. :rolleyes:

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Good luck

Angel xx

charleyfarley
24-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Good luck, I've thought about bringing in the minimum hours contract myself

Carol xx

susi513
30-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Lots of people have a minimum charge, but it varies a lot - some have a daily minimum somewhere between 2 and 6 hours (my contracts now say 4 hours per day) or a weekly minimum like banana.

Some people do charge an enhanced rate but don't word it that way to parents! I called it a part time rate and charged 50p more per hour for less than 20 hours a week. And if they booked more than 20 hours a week they went on the discounted part time rate. Now I have a daily rate and a half day rate which encourages parents to round up the hours they need to avoid paying the higher part time rate.

jaja
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
How did you get on? hope everything is ok xxx

brillminder
06-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i use to have a rate sheet typed up ie
0-10 hour rate £
11-15 hours rate £
16-20 hours rate £
20-30
etc
with different rates that was good when i had lots of par times and i always do hourly rates not weekly or monthly :)

ma7ie
07-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Looks like this little boy will be starting with me next friday for 5 weeks. Course organisers have agreed to pay an enhanced fee of £5 per hour because it's only 3 hours per week.

Not going to make my first million this year but I'll keep plodding on:D

Rubybubbles
09-05-2008, 12:50 PM
excellent , glad it worked out for you hun