PDA

View Full Version : Over 5's

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 01:45 PM
I have two children who will be starting school in September, one will turn 5 beg Sep, so that will be okay, but the other not 5 till Nov.

In our school when they start school, it take about three weeks for them to go full time, first couple of weeks till twelve and then one twenty after lunch and finally full time. Canyou still class these children as over 5's and take on other under's 5 during that time, even though I will be picking up at 12 and 1.20

Hope this makes sense.

Maureen

sarah707
24-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Once they start full time school they are classed as 5... those first few weeks might well be a grey area.

I would ring and check... then let us all know! :D

08456 404040

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes let me know too please.

I have a 4 year old DS and a 4 year old mindee. They won't be 5 until next February but they both start school in September.

for the first 2 weeks I will have to collect them at 12noon then the following week they will stay for lunch, so I'll collect them at 1pm. After that they will be there all day until 3.30pm.

I know once they start school they can be classed as 5 year olds, but is that "full time school" or is it as soon as they enter reception even though the first couple of weeks won't be full time.

I don't want to loose out on new mindees that might want to start in September...........

SimplyLucy
24-04-2008, 02:24 PM
I've just rung OFSTED about this.........been meaning to for a while.

They wouldn't be classed as over 5's until they are in school full time (10 sessions a week).

Therefore if I took on other under 5's I'd be over my numbers in the afternoons when my DS and my mindee were not at school.

The lady was very nice and said that I'd just have to get a variation for the first couple of weeks in September. She warned me to allow 6 weeks for the variation to go though as it's a busy time with the everyone having the same problem with school starters!

She also told me not to worry as it wouldn't be a problem at all.

Sorted!

:clapping:

sarah707
24-04-2008, 02:46 PM
That's great Lucy... thank you for the feedback! :)

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for letting everyone know about that Lucy

Angel xx

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks too, saves me a job. I have just put in for a variation for one and half hours for just four thursday from mid June to mid July, so will wait for that to be granted, and then put another one in to allow me to be flexible to get some more children, although luckily one turns 5 on the 5th September, but still have another one starting school. Same will happen again in January as our school has two intakes, what a pain hey!

Thanks

Maureen

breezy
24-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all the info, I have the same problem so it's great to know :)