PDA

View Full Version : I have a college student coming: advice please

Toothfairy
03-04-2011, 08:35 AM
I have been approached by my local college to have a student placed with me 2 days a week for a month.

I have contacted my PLI and had that changed and I have written to the parents and got them all to sign a permission slip & the college have done their CRB checks.

What can and can't they do while with the children.
I realise they can't be left alone with the children, can't do school runs or take them out in the car etc but are they allowed to change nappies for example.

One of the items they need to be observed doing and signed off of is changing a baby's nappy. If I stood with her and had permission from the parent, is this something she could do?

Any advice would be great, thanks :thumbsup:

Mrs.L.C
03-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I cant see why not if you have parents consent and you are there with them.

I remember changing a nappy on a placement many years ago

If you are unsure though I would contact Ofsted just incase

Leanne59
03-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I went on placement to a cms when I was doing my btec and the cm loved having me around, to do nappies!!!

Toothfairy
04-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied :thumbsup:

Anyone else had students ?
What did you get them to do?

sarah707
04-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I imagine the student will have a list of things s/he has to do like changing a nappy, planning an activity, doing a few observations, reading stories etc.

If not, I'd work with what s/he is keen to get involved in... the children like making obstacle courses in the garden, would you like to help them? That kind of thing.

Good luck! :D

manjay
04-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I recently had a student! She lasted two days:rolleyes: It depends on what level they are working on at college but be aware that some can be a hinderance rather than a help;)

Hope you get a good one

Toothfairy
04-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Don't worry she will definatley pull her weight.......She's my neice :D