PDA

View Full Version : Us childminders are greedy! Long one

twinkle3005
02-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Post from 'THAT SITE' Grrrrrrrrrr So annoyed.:angry:

The main trait I found was greediness and money orientated - e.g.
1. Charging more per hour than the average rate for childminders and more than nurseries
I seriouly doubt it!
2. Charging for their holidays
Does she get paid holiday pay?
3. Charging for their sickness or when their family were sick
4. Quoting a daily rate and then saying the daily rate means 9am - 5pm and hours outside this have a premium charge
Heard of overtime? 9-5 is a full working day so yes we charge more for extra hours
5. Quoting a daily rate but then when ask about a half day, rate almost doubles
Depends on hours, can't fill space if it's splits the day
6. Not supplying food and/or snacks, or wipes, and/or charging £1.50 per meal!
Who buys her lunch, snacks etc at work? her Boss? i think not
7. Charging extra for outings to playgroups etc
a trip out could cost up to 2 hours wage for us, more for multiple kids
8. Charging for Bank Holidays even though they are closed, even if you have a part time contract. Or being available on bank holiday but if you do use them you pay double and if you dont use them you pay standard.
Does she get paid bank Hols and paid more if worked?
9. Saying things like 'You'll have to let me know quick otherwise the place will be gone' as if they are some hardcore saleswoman
We are not not sales women 'we are Business women', get it right!
10. Charging for settling in periods of very short duration (e.g. 1 -2 hours)
11. Having to pay two months in advance
We wouldn't have to do this if parents paid on time or in some cases at all

Eh hello, are we not professionals offering a service which we expect to be paid for? As much as we all love kids we do it to earn a living and for less than minimum wages may I add.

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/working-childcare-692/childcare-691/557885-childminder-moan-my-experience.html

Sorry that was so long, just had to get it off my chest,
Rant over!!!!

Penny1959
03-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Well of course she is entitled to her opinion

BUT

Has she not heard of CHOICE

She does not have to use a registered childminder if she does not like the terms and conditions - she could try a nursery or a nanny or a playgroup or a relative or a friend prepared to do it for free.

We all have choices and we all have to accept the terms and conditions and level of service that goes with that choice.

I choose to live in a lovely house that is cheaper than average BUT put up with the noise from the trains that go past

My husband chooses to drive a car that is his dream car BUT has to pay a premium price to get it serviced

My daughter wanted a bells and whistles wedding BUT had to pay well over the average price for it and pay a large deposit well in advance

On the other hand I am not prepared to pay 'extra' for my food - so shop around and shop where they offer the food at a price that I am prepared to pay. It is no good me saying that xxx shop charges more, does not sell the things I want, does not give free bags and so on

I make my own choices and often these are based on what I feel is important and worth paying 'extra' for

In my view this person should consider the benefits of using a childminder and decide if she wants to pay for these - and if she does not want to then SHUT UP and let others make their own decisions based on what they feel is important - and as we all know thousands of parents choose childminding as the best option.

Penny :)

snufflepuff
03-04-2011, 09:29 AM
I can never seem to post replies on that site, it won't let me, some sort of error.....probably a good thing really, I might say something i'd regret, lol!

Mollymop
03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Oh I try not to read these Netmum posts as they make me so mad! I have left a reply:mad:

Mollymop
03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
I think OIABM from this forum has left a post and if it was her I would like to say - Well done you! Best post of the lot! You sure told her!!:clapping:

WibbleWobble
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
i like mumsnet better...they swear alot and and have issues with the maternity nanny etc. Good for a laugh!

Am i being unreasonable? is the best forum on musnet.....always good for a laugh.

eg aibu about obese people on the bus?

so funny

mandy xx

TheBTeam
03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Well! I have just sat and read through the lot, think i may need to put my prices up and charge for my hols/bank hols and meals, groups, outings and months in advance etc, then maybe I can avoid such parents!

As it is I charge when i work only and dont charge premium rates or get narky with my parents if they are caught out and late for £1 a minute etc, maybe that is where i am going wrong!:rolleyes:

Monkey26
03-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I replied... :blush: x

WibbleWobble
03-04-2011, 03:37 PM
I replied... :blush: x

and in a very jolly pink too!!

i agree with everything you say...i am sick of CM bashing on that site.

mandy xx

Monkey26
03-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Yes, a lovely shade of pink don't ya think :D haha, no one has written since :blush: xx

WibbleWobble
03-04-2011, 03:44 PM
i cant be bothered...well actually i may just lose it and really shout at them all!

so i wont

i will not post and stay calm

mandy xxx

Monkey26
03-04-2011, 03:53 PM
i cant be bothered...well actually i may just lose it and really shout at them all!

so i wont

i will not post and stay calm

mandy xxx

Normally i don't post either, i stopped using the coffee house on that site due to all the childminder bashing :(

Other than the bit about not taking sick children, i think it was the bit about raising voices at children that really got to me - i had a complaint made against me (random member of the public, i just happened to be wearing my childminder jumper!) because i shouted at a child who was running away from me towards ongoing traffic, had i not shouted that child probably would have kept running!!! I had two other children with me that day and luckily was out with another childminder and her mindees so i had plenty of back up and support from the parent who was quite simply just relieved that her child was still in one piece! ... Ofsted dismissed the complaint on grounds of "keeping children safe" but having a random member of the public doing that when they didnt know the whole situation was horrible!!! xx

Blackcat
03-04-2011, 06:44 PM
is she the same one that wrote the other day on the nursery or CM? post
I think she said
I would always go for a nursery as cm don't have to do as much, do not have as many checks or as qualified , lol.
but I don't know much about cm's!

IF SHE HAD BEEN NEAR ME I WOULD HAVE KILLED HER!

Hebs
03-04-2011, 07:19 PM
i'm sick of the "self employed cant have the perks of being employed" posts :angry:

Blackcat
03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
i'm sick of the "self employed cant have the perks of being employed" posts :angry:

I can't be doing with parents who went calling us greedy etc who can't take it back and thinking we are all charities (as you may have guessed from my posts)

Hebs
04-04-2011, 06:04 AM
I can't be doing with parents who went calling us greedy etc who can't take it back and thinking we are all charities (as you may have guessed from my posts)

i lost my temper on there last night

we are money orientated well so are parents :rolleyes:

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 06:26 AM
its like banging your head against a wall sometimes isn't it hun?

I notice Anon hasnt been back to join in the trouble she has caused, lol

Hebs
04-04-2011, 06:30 AM
its like banging your head against a wall sometimes isn't it hun?
I notice Anon hasnt been back to join in the trouble she has caused, lol

yeah and i said that many times

Flisspaps
04-04-2011, 07:13 AM
i like mumsnet better...they swear alot and and have issues with the maternity nanny etc. Good for a laugh!

Am i being unreasonable? is the best forum on musnet.....always good for a laugh.

I am an MN-er :D AIBU was the main reason I joined!

I do not however, have a maternity nanny ;)

Chatterbox Childcare
04-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I think this lady is dissillusioned and when I read the whole first page she was relenting a little - just frustrated

Lots of positives from parents praising us too

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 09:39 AM
HEBS can you guess which one is me? lol

i personally think that charlotte is anon

Happy Bunny
04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
It was definitely a post put to cause trouble.
Either that or a case of very bad sour grapes.

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
HEBS can you guess which one is me? lol

i personally think that charlotte is anon

which is you?

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
have a guess

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Christina? solely based on the fact that she's been on there around the same time you've been on here...

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
which is you?

which one is you ?

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Christina? solely based on the fact that she's been on there around the same time you've been on here...

there are two others off here on at the same time too so you never know

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
which one is you ?

Me? I'm the horrible one :blush:

I know you're not Hebs or Pip so...

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 11:33 AM

not due to the fact i come accross deffensive and i dont like stupid people then?

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
not due to the fact i come accross deffensive and i dont like stupid people then?

Nope, based on the fact that I know who the others are, lmao!

Jacko81
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
I have just read this post and thank god it would not let me reply, i was gonna blow my lid with her!!!

How dare she 'tar' every childminder with the same brush!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the childminder she was using reads the post!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=onceinabluemoon;902660]Me? I'm the horrible one :blush:

I know you're not Hebs or Pip so...[/QUOTE

which one lol?:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Me? I'm the horrible one :blush:

I know you're not Hebs or Pip so...

you are not horrible:panic:

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM

is she fiona or paula?

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 04:12 PM
is this what every1 is chattin about on FB?.... well the nurseries in her area must be realy cheap, open all bank hols, dont charge and give out freebeeys lol

im in line with most cms and nurseries in my area and some even charge more so ive put my fees up :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM

Not usually but I was pretty horrible to the OP. I'm pretty sure she's only baiting anyway and got exactly what she wanted...

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
is she fiona or paula?

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you, lol!

(not literally kill, just in case Blackcat meets with a bizarre accident and the police are looking for suspects...)

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Not usually but I was pretty horrible to the OP. I'm pretty sure she's only baiting anyway and got exactly what she wanted...

oh but its fun isn't it.
I don;t take it particuarly seriously but I enjoy articulating myself to the point people have no choice but to either justify their ridiculous comments and they see the light for themselves......:laughing:

its good for getting an argument out of your system!:rolleyes:

and the OP probably deserved it all

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
ok so ive managed to get on netmums for the first time this yr why it decides to let me on now i dont know ... so how do i find the thread you are all talking about plezzz xx

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netmums.com%2Fcoffeehouse %2Fworking-childcare-692%2Fchildcare-691%2F557885-childminder-moan-my-experience.html&h=6caa0

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Pip, you're losing the plot, its on netmums not facebook...

Andrea if you go to the first post there's a link

oh duh! sorry:doh: :doh:

Pipsqueak
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
what a plonker i am !!!

here you go

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/working-childcare-692/childcare-691/557885-childminder-moan-my-experience.html

onceinabluemoon
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
what a plonker i am !!!

here you go

No it was my fault, your link did work! That's why I deleted my post and put dots instead, It was me who was the plonker

WibbleWobble
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
its still going strong....tee hee

mandy xx

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
thanks but i found it and yes i read most of it and how some ppl "talk" to others has shocked me, so glad this forum is soft, gentle and loving just like childminders should be :laughing:

so yes i couldnt resist and i posted right at the bottom of the last page so easy for you to find me as im as i am andrea m.

if you read it plez let me know if i have upset any1 or if you think my comments too strong.. if so ill go bk and say sorry (but only if i have to lol)

xxx

WibbleWobble
04-04-2011, 07:39 PM
dont say sorry to anyone

you are right!

What a :censored: sanctamonious (sp?) woman posting after you:(

mandy xx

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
realy ohhh ill go look didnt think i said anything bad im a nice girl honest ?

ive looked and there are no posts after mine ? ill try again but cana see any others?

Blackcat
04-04-2011, 07:42 PM
thanks but i found it and yes i read most of it and how some ppl "talk" to others has shocked me, so glad this forum is soft, gentle and loving just like childminders should be :laughing:

so yes i couldnt resist and i posted right at the bottom of the last page so easy for you to find me as im as i am andrea m.

if you read it plez let me know if i have upset any1 or if you think my comments too strong.. if so ill go bk and say sorry (but only if i have to lol)

xxx

everything was well said hun xxxxxx

Andrea08
04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
everything was well said hun xxxxxx

thanks it came from the heart and tbh its these parents that should give up fancy cars and holidays and look after their own children if no one else can do it as well for cr*p money... it makes me sick how parents spend so much on shoes and fancy clothes n cars yet wont pay for good quality childcare,

my children come first every time and that means i often do without, it took 6yrs to get a holiday where i had to board a plain first, and then ive only been away 4 times in 20yrs with my children, these yummy mummies should give up flash cars n put their money where there mouth is how dare they even try to slander us childminders,,, my dad cana believe the stick i get and not many can change another child's nappy nevermind all the other stuff we put up with, sorry but it got to me and i kept my cool but i love my job, care for every child equaly and my own have to wait or do without so i can pay bills its a ruddy joke.

we are more qualifyed than some that are on over £10hr my mindees dad wouldnt get out of bed to fix plumbing for less that £125 a day and hes finished by 3 to pick up the kids...

thats it we would pay £100's of pounds to get our homes fixed but cough at £3.50hr for our babies to be cared for .... makes me sick... i use to give my mum more than that just to say thanks for having my kids so i could go get a hair cut, 2 hrs and a bunch of flowers cost me £15,

raqnt over dont think i can cope with that forum do they not have mods like us to care for what is said or how hurtful some comments are?

glad i became a member ere first so i dont need insults from them, xxx

love you lot keep your heads high you are good at your jobs, you care and are worth every rotten penny they scribble on a cheque, and the mindees love us back even if the parents dont care x

Andrea08
05-04-2011, 06:12 PM
arrrrrrrr sorry girls but ive been bk on to the other side and wow i was shocked at the rest of what is being said so ive given yet another large responce but from myself as parent ... realy think i need to stay away .... parents realy do hate us ... will we ever get away from the nanny next door earning free money for nothing :mad:

its just too sad and its getting nasty by the post

as ive said im so glad i found this forum, not too many fights lol

Doofuz
06-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I have been working in day nurseries for 10 years and can safely say she is very lucky to have the prospect of going to a fantastic nursery! Healthy menus are a dream, hardworking staff are hard to find, as well as staff over the age of 20 with experience that didn't just want an easy job, qualifications don't always mean anything and ratio frequently going off balance. Managers are in it for the money and quite often give the staff no support. The children do not get the personal care that they receive whilst with a childminder. We have children with additional needs that are not being met. This may be why this lady is finding childminders in her area higher priced - experience and time that is going into the business means success for all, child and carer.

Pipsqueak
06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Andrea hunny you need to learn to take 'that site' with a pinch of salt
xxx remember its anon at the end of the day and people enjoy being nasty under a cloak because they do not have the guts to be that ballsy in person half the time.

juneburkett
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
i dropped a charge for one mum as i needed the work, she pulled a face when i said there was a £1 payment for lunches, she said "you charge for lunches",wish i had read this post first as i said i will just this once for her as it was temproary i would drop the lunch charge. the child is now full time and i am stuck. she pays late arrives late and at the mo is unhappy about me charging because she decded to send him to his dads 2 days this week :mad: some mums eh

juneburkett
06-09-2011, 10:18 PM
hi i read the link :mad: on net mums, would like to rant please :angry: im a childminder who dosnt charge when im closed, dosnt charge extra for over 5pm, dosnt charge for meals or playgroup.
i pay myself £3.50 per hour , with no holiday pay. yet some of the mums still try to wing free bees, ie phone at last min to say will be 1/2 hour late or whatever cos they are shopping. do they not think i have a life after 6pm. mayby i should change my job title to mug

juneburkett
06-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Andrea hunny you need to learn to take 'that site' with a pinch of salt
xxx remember its anon at the end of the day and people enjoy being nasty under a cloak because they do not have the guts to be that ballsy in person half the time.

how true, also she said she had experience of 10 childminders....i dont even know 10 childminders :laughing:

Ripeberry
07-09-2011, 05:43 AM
They have something about this on BBC news this morning. Childcare is making people give up work. Well if the employers paid a proper wage in the first place :mad:

munch149
07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
I had a parent visit once and call me greedy. She did shift work and wanted me to be available for 50 hours but some weeks she may only do 12. she only wanted to pay me for the hours she did. I told her she would need to pay for a minimum of 25 hours used or not As a whole space was taken,which I thought was more than reasonable. Should have seen the text I got later after her visit