PDA

View Full Version : Change to Employers Liability Insurance

ryanna
02-04-2011, 05:52 PM
I have recieved a letter this morning stating that from now on I will have to provide an employer refernce number (Employer PAYE reference) to the insurance company if I pay an employee more than £116 per week.

But my assistant is self-employed so I don't have one? I was under the impression that even though self employed, I needed to have ELI in place for anyone working in my setting regardless. Is this not right? Or are they saying that ELI is only for actual employees of the business? And if so what covers self employed assistants, because a lot of us have them?!

Help! Confused!!

sarah707
03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Crikey that's a complicated one!

I suggest you speak to your insurance company and make it clear exactly what your business terms are and ask whether you are paying the right thing for an assistant.

Is it from NCMA or MM? :D

Hebs
03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
and what about voulenteers?? :panic:

ryanna
03-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Crikey that's a complicated one!

I suggest you speak to your insurance company and make it clear exactly what your business terms are and ask whether you are paying the right thing for an assistant.

Is it from NCMA or MM? :D

It's from NCMA and the letter is from them too (ie not from royal & sun alliance who underwrite the NCMA policy)

Hebs, the letter stated that they only want this info for employees paid more than £116 per week so it won't apply to volunteers, but even so it makes you wonder who exactly is covered.

I will ring them on Monday and see what I can find out. Just hoping it doesn't open up a whole can of worms re self employed assistants :panic:

muffins
03-04-2011, 10:31 AM
I'd be interested in what they say! I wonder if a way round it would be to have the insurance with MM instead:rolleyes:

Hebs
03-04-2011, 03:55 PM
I'd be interested in what they say! I wonder if a way round it would be to have the insurance with MM instead:rolleyes:

you mean for the assistants??

muffins
03-04-2011, 04:06 PM
you mean for the assistants??

Yes, not looked into it though:D

ryanna
03-04-2011, 04:47 PM
According to the letter, this is due to changes to the way that the insurance industry manages employers liability insurance, so I'm assuming it will apply to all policies regardless of who they're with :huh:

Pauline
03-04-2011, 04:59 PM
We do have a member who is from MM I've asked if they will come and help with this question. :thumbsup:

Won't be till Monday at the earliest though. :)