PDA

View Full Version : Would you appeal?

son77
24-04-2008, 01:21 PM
As you may remember inspector said at my inspection that I must wash baby's hands after nappy change, cleaning with a wet wipe doesn't surfice, well this is how my report reads (the very first paragraph I have to add)

The provision is good. Children are kept healthy as the childminder follows good hygiene routines. Gloves are worn for nappy changes and the childminder ensures the changing mat is thoroughly cleaned after every use, helping to promote children's good health. However, children's hands are not washed or cleaned after nappy changes which may lead to cross-contamination.

It states hands are NOT cleaned, but they were.

Should I phone to complain?

Has anyone else done this?

If so, what is the procedure?

I dont want them to say they have to do another inspection :eek:

Fandangles
24-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I would most definitely complain as it is not the truth and totally misleading. :angry:

Pipsqueak
24-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I would appeal to - its a totally unnecessary point.

I would also ask them how they would like you to wash babies hands - for reference

nell57
24-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes I would complain but not sure where to start as not done it before.

The comment seems really unfair and very picky. How old is the baby? how do you wash a babies hands, holding a baby over the sink while cleaning their hands, the mind boggles.

Helen

christine e
24-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Appeal. I think you just have to ring in and say you are not happy with report and state why. I know someone who had not got emergency treatment permission forms signed and her report read that she was failing the children in her care because in the event of her taking them to hospital they would not be treated because she hadn't obtained permission from parents. As an ex nurse she knew this wasn't the case and appealed and got it reworded. Just be confident in what you say to them.
Good luck
Christine

mumtodaniel
24-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi, I would write a letter saying that you used wipes and that the information on the report is misleading, and needs to be changed. Ask them to kindly change it to say that wipes were used or what the process is for appealing.

Good luck with it.

Maureen

Alibali
24-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Yes appeal, that is very misleading and also untrue. Go for it girl.

Ali xx

Banana
24-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Definitly appeal - thast out of order!!

Not to metion the fact that its a ridiculous thing to do anyway, yes give them a wipe but for god sake - how many parents wash their childrens hands after a nappy change???

Maybe we should only work in sterile conditions- maybe ofsted would be happy then!

x

sarah707
24-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I appealed against a decision once and they were fair - although I won the appeal so I would say that! :laughing:

State clearly what happened and what was said... including what the inspector told you in feedback and how that differs from your report. Really try hard to be unemotional - just state the facts of the conversation and what you did.

Ask where it states in the standards that they are so fond of quoting that a baby needs taking to the sink after nappy changes to have their hands washed and what the inspector is using to back this up... you are working to the 14 standards and I know it's not a part of them... just presumably this particular inspector's bug bear.

Hope this helps :D

son77
24-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks everyone.

I'll try & pluck up the courage tomorrow!!

Rubybubbles
24-04-2008, 02:03 PM
agree with everyone

good luck hun, let us know what they say:rolleyes: :D

son77
24-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Oh Sarah, quick question.

What was the process after you spoke to them?

Was it just 1 conversation or does it escalate from there?

Dont know whether I ca be bothered with a long drawn out process when it doesnt bother the parents (they think its laughable) & who's gonna really look at my report now anyway.

miffy
24-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck with this

miffy xx

sarah707
24-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Oh Sarah, quick question.

What was the process after you spoke to them?

Was it just 1 conversation or does it escalate from there?

Dont know whether I ca be bothered with a long drawn out process when it doesnt bother the parents (they think its laughable) & who's gonna really look at my report now anyway.

I was told to follow up my conversation with a letter... I wrote to them and they have a team dedicated to complaints.

It didn't take long as I remember... about 2 weeks and I got a confirmation letter and a phone call while I was in the supermarket... I was sooo relieved I started crying in the freezer section! :laughing:

elaineg
24-04-2008, 02:13 PM
I would appeal and ask them for a written explanation of how you are suposed to wash a babies hands and see what they come up with, if they cant come up with a good enough explanation they should change that whole paragraph as you are still following the standards.

love Elaine XX

carolinel
24-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I would definately appeal, I can understand you don't want a long drawn out process but as Sarah says chances are it wont be and it's the principle of the matter.
good luck!

Mollymop
24-04-2008, 03:26 PM
It seems all silly! I agree with everyone else.
I hope you win your appeal X

wendywu
24-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes appeal. A friend of mine co minds with her daughter. She did not have her daughters MOT in her paperwork. Her inspector wrote in her report that she must make sure the children are transported safely in the car. This sounds really bad. So she appealed and they changed the wording.:)

berkschick
24-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I have never heard anything so silly before!

We are meant to wash babies hands after WE have changed THEIR nappies???

Has the world gone totally mad???

jmoff
24-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I wouldnt be happy at all with the wording of that!
Why did she put it in anyway!?

I hope you get it sorted out.

jana x

jmoff
24-04-2008, 03:49 PM
maybe we should get mini gloves for babies to wear!:laughing:

Jx

wendywu
24-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Perhaps we should handcuff their hands over their heads so they cannot touch their bottoms:laughing:

littletreasures
24-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I think you should write a letter asking them to change it.

Good luck

littletreasures

son77
24-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Thanks girls, this was the only recommendation I was given

in the inspectors words "ensure children's personal hygiene routines are followed at nappy change"

So surely if she didn't nit pick (or is it nik pick?) at this then she would of have to give me outstanding? But I only got good in all of the outcomes, oh I don't know, this whole bl**dy grading thing is just sooooooo wrong :angry:

son77
24-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry for going on & on & on............
but here's a quote from another ofsted report

The childminder uses gloves and an apron when changing nappies and she disinfects the changing mat after each use, so that children are not at risk of cross-infection. They learn good hygiene routines regarding hand washing. In the home, they wash their hands in a wash basin, using liquid soap and their own named, colour-coded towel to reduce the risk of infection. Babies also have the opportunity to have their hands washed as the childminder wipes their hands after their nappy has been changed. This helps children from a very early age develop good hygiene routines.

This is a friend of mine who also wiped baby's hands with a wet wipe.

Getting madder & madder :angry:

angeldelight
24-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Yep I agree

Angel xxx

donnahay0
24-04-2008, 09:25 PM
I definately think you should appeal.

The worst outcome for you is for ofsted to leave the report as it is .... any parent reading that report would laugh at how ridiculous it was. They would be more than happy to come to you on the grounds that the report clearly states that you are extremely efficient and aware of hygiene.

Inspector must have OCD if you ask me.

disney
25-04-2008, 12:43 PM
sorry only just read this , how awful for you . cant believe how they have completly wrote this all down wronge for you .also i dont really understand what shes going on about , yes i know what she means about contamination . but i worked recently in a nursey for years & was only ever taught to wash my own hands and never a baby after a nappy change :rolleyes:

Splish Splosh
25-04-2008, 12:57 PM
yes. i would appeal.. good luck i did once and ended up speaking to the line manager of the inspector.

It did work though and had wording removed and rewritten.

ma7ie
25-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I hope you manage to get this sorted. Good luck. :)

miffy
25-04-2008, 03:11 PM
Sorry for going on & on & on............
but here's a quote from another ofsted report

The childminder uses gloves and an apron when changing nappies and she disinfects the changing mat after each use, so that children are not at risk of cross-infection. They learn good hygiene routines regarding hand washing. In the home, they wash their hands in a wash basin, using liquid soap and their own named, colour-coded towel to reduce the risk of infection. Babies also have the opportunity to have their hands washed as the childminder wipes their hands after their nappy has been changed. This helps children from a very early age develop good hygiene routines.

This is a friend of mine who also wiped baby's hands with a wet wipe.

Getting madder & madder :angry:

That would annoy me too

But at least you can use this when you appeal

miffy xx

NikNak
29-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Thats unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! And very unfair. How riddiculous can some people be! Iv never heard of any thing so crazy as washing babies hands after a nappy change. I mean as if parents would do that! I think there are far more important things to be worrying about. I care for a baby of 11 months and am due an inspection any day. I will difinatly NOT be washing the babies hands! It will be interesting to see what response I get from the inspector actually. To be honest I cant ever imagine remembering to do everything perfectly to get an outstanding grade so I would be very happy with a good if it means not washing babies hands!:)

deeb66
29-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I would also appeal.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Donkey
29-04-2008, 07:29 PM
i have all on at the minute trying to get my babies nappy back on let alone trying to wipe her hands!!!!!

so very very wrong, appeal!!!

button68
29-04-2008, 08:43 PM
I have never heard anything so silly before!

We are meant to wash babies hands after WE have changed THEIR nappies???

Has the world gone totally mad???

Yes I was wondering this too??? I have never done this with mindee's or my own - It's never been mentioned to me by any other CM either.

Can anyone clarify please??

deeb66
30-04-2008, 10:23 AM
The theory behind it is that it teaches the children good hygiene practices at a very early age as they get used to having their hands washed after nappy change and going to toilet.

ALSO......As we know some babies/toddlers do take the opportunity to have a poke and a fiddle with themselves as soon as their nappy is taken off so again is good hygiene practice to ensure their hands are clean after a nappy change.

Hope this sheds some light :)

Donkey
18-05-2008, 06:10 PM
have you appealed??? how has it gone??

Spangles
18-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Definitely appeal! It's not an accurate comment at all and very misleading.

After reading another thread on this I have started to wash babies hands after changing their nappies as I can see the theory behind it but I am only using wipes at the moment as I can't see how I can take a baby through to the kitchen and dangle them over the kitchen sink to wash them! Surely that's not safe or ideal? Very odd. Older ones wash their hands in a bowl with soap and water and their own cloth to dry and babies have wipes.

Let us know what happens with your appeal!

son77
21-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I calmed down & in the end didn't bother appealing.

At the end of the day who really reads our reports anyway.

Sometimes I wish I did, but hey ho, lost interest in what Ofsted have to say it's all b*ll*x anyway!

angeldelight
22-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Glad you calmed down

Sometimes these things are just not worth the extra hassle are they ?

Hope you are ok ?

Angel xx

miffy
22-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I understand why you didn't bother appealing - sometimes it's just not worth the extra stress.

Hope you are OK now

miffy xx