PDA

View Full Version : Northern Ireland Childminder

NI MINDER
01-04-2011, 09:34 PM
Gosh - I am sitting reading through lots of posts and what is becoming apparent is that things are very different in England than here in NI. I have been registered 7 years now and have had 3 social worker inspections - meant to be yearly but coming up on two years now. They call to make sure premises safe etc and go over child protection and what to do if i have any concerns etc. I did question her on last visit if she didnt need to check more things around my home but she says she finds out more by sitting with me and how kids interact etc with me.
I dont have to do half the things any of you seem to do for ofsted and courses are few and far between and usually highly over subscribed - unless you get in really quickly when mailed places are full.

tulip0803
01-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello and welcome:)

I am in Wales and also find it very different to England. In fact I used to mind in England but escaped before EYFS.

My insp chats and watches me with the children. Checks all my house. Checks my paperwork and asks if I have any problems. I am inspected every 2 years and have to be CRB checked every 3. My inspector checks to see that I update my first aid, child protection & food hygiene every 3 years. I have a named inspector and I can speak to her if I need to between inspections. She does not make an appointment to inspect and will arrive at any time.

NI MINDER
02-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks tulip - makes me feel a bit better - feel sorry for you girls in England, you seem to have to jump through hoops. Tulip ours in spot inspection too but we get a two week time frame when they will call - although we are told that they can call any time to spot check but apparently this has happened yet to any of the minders I know.

Pipsqueak
02-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Ok Ok - rub it in why doncha lol:D

NI MINDER
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Ah Pipsqueak - not rubbing it in - just dont know if i could cope with what you all have to do to be registered - really admire you all :littleangel:

Pipsqueak
02-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Ah Pipsqueak - not rubbing it in - just dont know if i could cope with what you all have to do to be registered - really admire you all :littleangel:

lol - bless ya - I know when I have done research on how other countries do early years, NI comes up with some brilliant stuff.

welcome to the forum by the way:thumbsup: :D

karen m
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
i have recently moved to Scotland from England and in process of re-registering and finding it so differant

tulip0803
02-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks tulip - makes me feel a bit better - feel sorry for you girls in England, you seem to have to jump through hoops. Tulip ours in spot inspection too but we get a two week time frame when they will call - although we are told that they can call any time to spot check but apparently this has happened yet to any of the minders I know.

We are given a 3 month time frame:eek: . We are also told that they can visit anytime, apparantly used to happen quite a bit but now they are too busy. However all the minders in this area are now under the same inspector so it is possible that she may drop in to visit when inspecting another one:rolleyes: .