PDA

View Full Version : Graco baby car seat..... handle up or down?

jumpinjen
01-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Hi,

My brother is over from Canada with his bew baby and has borrowed my graco baby car seat..... I always used it with the handle up (sure the instructions said that) but he was horrified and asid if it was in an impact it could shatter and the pieces would hit the baby in the face.... I thought it added 'roll cage' type protection in case of accident.... I have googled it but found conflicting decisions on it..... what is the actual way..... anyone know??

Thanks, Jen

amirose
01-04-2011, 05:41 PM
Officially I don't know but I also thought it was up for the reasons you describe. Sorry I can't offer any more then an opinion!

Alibali
01-04-2011, 05:50 PM
I dont have a graco one, but the mamas and papas one I have the handle goes down, and the britax one I had for my boys the handle was down too.

snufflepuff
01-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I had a graco and the handle had to be down.

Flisspaps
01-04-2011, 06:18 PM
AFAIK the Graco ones are the same model as the mothercare ones under a different name, and the guidance for ours said handle down to create a roll cage (having the handle up would put it where the hood was).

I suppose even if it did shatter upon rolling, it would have absorbed the brunt of the shock rather than the baby getting it, and in the long run being hit by some broken plastic would be the least worst issue IYSWIM?

flora
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I think handles down.......

sunflower
01-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I use a silver cross one and we always have handle down...

Donkey
01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
I am sure I read in the manual it said Handle had to be up, like an upside down flipped an E 45 degrees so that if the car rolls its like a roll cage....

Donkey
01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
http://media.gracobaby.eu/manuals/G8A95%20_AND_G8401129%20_Logico_S_carseat_and_base HB.pdf

obv depends on the differing models but I think they always have the same basic shape/design for the graco/mothercare ones...

page 30

Always place handle in the
up position when using the car
seat in a vehicle.

clio0602
01-04-2011, 08:01 PM
I have the mothercare version but its the graco seat on the base. I always used handle up and I would have read the manual back to front before I used seat as I'm a bit ott when it comes to car seats :o

mama2three
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
i had the graco one and the handle was up.

Meleje
02-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Same here, used a graco one for both my girls and had the handle up. Also had it checked at Halfords and they said about the handle acting like a roll bar too.

jumpinjen
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
http://media.gracobaby.eu/manuals/G8A95%20_AND_G8401129%20_Logico_S_carseat_and_base HB.pdf

obv depends on the differing models but I think they always have the same basic shape/design for the graco/mothercare ones...

page 30

Always place handle in the
up position when using the car
seat in a vehicle.

THANKYOU SOOOOOO MUCH for that.... I wanted the manual and couldn't find where I'd put mine..... it has made me feel better as i always carried my daughter in with it up in the car and was sat thinking that I'd been endangering her...... relief!! thanks, I've emailed it to my dad.... he can choose whether to bring it up with my brother or not!!

jen x