PDA

View Full Version : to leave them or not

mushpea
01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
my older mindees like to do hamma beads and braclets etc in the evenings they are 2 7yr olds and 2 5yrolds,,, my kitchen and living room are set up so that if I am in the living room I cant see but can hear them,,, I wold like to let them do the beads more often but obviously I need to be with the little ones aswell , do you think its ok to leave the older ones in the kitchen doing the beads themselves out of my sight but in my hearing range so that they can do them more often but so i can watch the littlies,, I would pop my head round every few minutes to make sure they are ok
I want to let them do it because they enjoy it but also theres a trust thing goin on here ie because your older i trust you to behave etc
do you think this is acceptable? would you leave this age range with the beads if you were in the next room

Baildon bears
01-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't see why not, my son often does hema beads up in his bedroom the only problem I could for see is any hazards in the kitchen but as long as you risk assess it should be fine.

mama2three
01-04-2011, 04:40 PM
I don't see why not, my son often does hema beads up in his bedroom the only problem I could for see is any hazards in the kitchen but as long as you risk assess it should be fine.

I would agree , the risks come from the kitchen . If you leave them you need to know they cannot access anything harmful , turn on the cooker etc. You could unplug the kettle etc too.

georgie456
01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Agree with the pp's - I can't see a problem with this.

miffy
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM
No problem with them being in the kitchen as long as you have RA's in place.

Miffy xx

Tealady
01-04-2011, 07:13 PM
If the're anything like the five and seven year olds i've had, if one of them starts getting up to mischief someone will soon come out and "grass them up" to you.

mushpea
01-04-2011, 07:20 PM
thanks folks,, the reason i asked is because the other day they were doing hama beads and the 3yrold was joining in,, i poped in to the living room to do somthing quickly and the next thing i hear is them shouting 'no dont do that' when i ran back in the 3yrold had stuck a bead up her nose:eek: lesson learnt,, dont turn your back on the littlies for a minute! but it made me think wether i should be leaving the older ones to it (normaly I am in the roon when then little ones does it and she is ususaly very good with them).
but i guess if i give them another rules speach and tell them I am trusting them as they are older and that if they do somthing silly they wont be trusted they should be ok oh and of course re risk assess it.

miffy
01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
If the're anything like the five and seven year olds i've had, if one of them starts getting up to mischief someone will soon come out and "grass them up" to you.
:laughing: :laughing: Very true!

Miffy xx

Baildon bears
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM
That reminds me, last year my youngest son 4 years stuck a little mosaic sticky square up his nose, we ended up in a&e god only knows why he did it, looking back it was quite funny:laughing: The things they put us through :rolleyes:

singlewiththree
02-04-2011, 06:47 AM
My 4yr old came out of school the other day and said "mummy I've got paper up my nose" while they had been sat on the carpet she had got bored and stuffed it up her nose but hadn't thought to tell the teacher. Luckily I just squeezed the other side and asked her to blow and it came out. I hadn't believed her until then :laughing:

keatingschick
02-04-2011, 07:18 AM
thanks folks,, the reason i asked is because the other day they were doing hama beads and the 3yrold was joining in,, i poped in to the living room to do somthing quickly and the next thing i hear is them shouting 'no dont do that' when i ran back in the 3yrold had stuck a bead up her nose:eek: lesson learnt,, dont turn your back on the littlies for a minute! but it made me think wether i should be leaving the older ones to it (normaly I am in the roon when then little ones does it and she is ususaly very good with them).
but i guess if i give them another rules speach and tell them I am trusting them as they are older and that if they do somthing silly they wont be trusted they should be ok oh and of course re risk assess it.

Just a quick note on this. My own son was at school - reception class so 5ish. He came out of school and said he had something up his nose, I had a good look but couldnt see anything but he insisted he had something up his nose. I went in to the teacher and asked her and she said that he had been saying that for a couple of hours but he hadnt got anything up there.

I took him home and had a good look and clearly saw something up his nose, I rang my hubby immediately and got him to take him to casualty - a split pea up his nose:eek: right at the top!!

The day after I went into school and said that he had had to go to casualty as he had a split pea up his nose, she looked rather disgusted and said that they had been using split peas for something and that she was stunned as she would not expect a 5 year old to do something like that!! I just said "well in future maybe you had BETTER expect it!!!"