PDA

View Full Version : Changing from a teacher to a childminder

Keeli3
01-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if many of you used to be teachers and are now a childminder? I have been teaching for 2 years and would like to start a family in the next 18 months. I have been stressed at school and thought that maybe childminding would be better for me and then I can also be with my own children.

Any advice?

Keeli

tulip0803
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I know that there are quite a few ex-teachers about. Hopefully they will be along soon.

Good luck

sarah707
01-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I used to be a teacher many many moons ago and found childminding an excellent way to keep using my skills and knowledge while being at home with my children.

I can't think of doing anything else though now, so teaching has totally gone out of the window :laughing:

Good luck! :D

miffy
01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I am not an ex-teacher but I became a childminder so I could look after my own children and earn some money - 20+ years later I'm still childminding, my own family is now grown up and left home :)

Childminding can be a stressful job though and there is plenty of paperwork just like in school but I've never regretted leaving work to do it.

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

lfishwick
01-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I am a teacher in the process of registering to be a childminder. After being in teaching for far too many years I have grown tired of juggling work and family. So I am hoping childminding will still allow me to use all the skills I have learnt and developed, but be more in control and be with my family when they need me.

sharonmanc
01-04-2011, 07:16 PM
i am a secondary school teacher at tthe moment and am about to start the prcoess to become a childminder, like has been said i think it will be a good way to balance work and home. My youngest is almost 2, by the time i am registerd and star minding she will be almost 3.

I think childminding will allow me to still work with children, and like has been said use my skills etc, i dont think i will go back to the classroom, and i dont mind the paper workthat i have read is involved, I dont think it will be anywhere near what i have to do now.

I am hoping it will be a way for me to earn a little money while being able to spend more time with my own children, while keeping my hand in educating/looking after children.

Pipsqueak
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Welcome to you newbies and congrats on the step to childminding.

Its is a great choice of job and it can be tons of fun but just a word of warning.... in a school its a team effort towards Ofsted - minding is just little old you on your own and that is quite stressful, its can be a lonely job so get to know colleagues, get on networks, go to groups and regionals - get invovled, having your home 'invaded' by lots of people can be hard on all the family and more so when you have insensitive parents!

in saying all that - we all manage and we are still here after many years so its ain;t really all that bad lol:thumbsup:

Playmate
01-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Welcome to you newbies and congrats on the step to childminding.

Its is a great choice of job and it can be tons of fun but just a word of warning.... in a school its a team effort towards Ofsted - minding is just little old you on your own and that is quite stressful, its can be a lonely job so get to know colleagues, get on networks, go to groups and regionals - get invovled, having your home 'invaded' by lots of people can be hard on all the family and more so when you have insensitive parents!

in saying all that - we all manage and we are still here after many years so its ain;t really all that bad lol:thumbsup:

On the flip side to this you are in control and if you are passionate about what you do, one one else can **** it up for you :D
Good luck, I left a nursing career 18 years ago to be a CM, I have been back twice, but I will never return again :D

Meleje
02-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I'm a teacher currently in the process of becoming a childminder too! I've got a 1 & 3 yr old and have handed my notice in to finish in the summer and I can't wait!!!

jadavi
02-04-2011, 04:04 PM
This is my first ever post on this forum. I am an ex teacher but never settled down in or liked the school system (sec) so I home educated my 4. They have all either left or are finishing off now and like the others on this thread figured I could use all my skills doing this. One thing that surprises me when considering this as a new career direction is how much I am affected by change in status......After leaving the school system I did loads of other jobs involving responsibity for groups, elderly people, line managing others, 2 director of schools jobs etc. I am most likely going to be made redundant now as my job is with a charity that's losing its funding - also I long to be with children again and want to do what I love for the remaining 8 years of working life I have. Does anyone else feel a change in status from teacher /manager to cm might need some adjustment? I'm cross with myself as I know in real terms its just as valuable a job and is a privilege to be able to engage so closely with the upbringing of other children and is a reward in itself. I guess its just what family and friends will say ..... Anyone else know what I mean?

lollyr82
04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi, I qualified as a teacher 3 years ago, i worked full time for the first year (coveing a maternity leave) but found the hours and amount of paper work really hard. my son was 3 at the time and i felt i missed out on everything that year. when my contract came to an end i decided not to look for full time teaching jobs but to do supply instead for a while. Supply work has been ok but its just so unreliable and slowly its starting to wear me down. I have thought about childminding for a few years but until december when i bought my first place i was renting and didnt want to childmind in rented accommodation.

Went to info session last wednesday and hoping to get on to a training course in may. I'm nervous about getting started and am concerned about the money side of things but i have supply teaching to fall back on if things take a while to get started. i have heard the paperwork for childminding can be a bit of a nightmare too but after teaching i'm hoping i'll be prepared for it lol x x

keeks
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I am a teacher and after working in primary and nursery for many years I left in Dec 2010 to start childminding in January.

I loved teaching, but not the intense paperwork load (which I had to do at home in my own time anyway). Also I don't agree with some people's view of early years teaching. I think it was far too formal even though we were known to be very "free-play" at my nursery.

I must say I have never been happier in a work situation than I am now. The freedom of doing whatever we want whenever we choose is amazing. I do wish I had done this years ago as my own two children are now 11 and nearly 14. It means so much to be here when they come home and in the holidays there are no worries either.

I still get to do the teaching but on my own terms, and I meet other CM's at the drop-in sessions so it feels like I've still got colleagues.

I wish you all the best and I think you'll LOVE it!

xx

lollyr82
04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Hi Keeks, thats really good to know... i know this wasnt my thread but am in simialr position as Keeli and am still unsure if i'm doing the right thing at the moment. I'm the same as you, i love teaching but hate all the stresses that go with it and the time spent away from family is the hardest part, childminding must be the answer after all lol x

keeks
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Keeks, thats really good to know... i know this wasnt my thread but am in simialr position as Keeli and am still unsure if i'm doing the right thing at the moment. I'm the same as you, i love teaching but hate all the stresses that go with it and the time spent away from family is the hardest part, childminding must be the answer after all lol x

I think it is :laughing:

I hope you feel you are making the right choice.

Ooops, forgot to say I didn't have the school holidays off, so I didn't have the benefit of long holidays either. I don't know, but I think even if I did I would have chosen childminding. You can always choose to work term time only if that would suit you better.

xx

grindal
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I used to be a teacher -secondary science. I taught for 12 years and when I went on maternity leave I was an assistant head. Having had DS1 I decided I did not want to return to that level within school so went back as a part time mainscale science teacher. By the time I went on maternity leave with DS2 I had already decided to register as a childminder, and got set up whilst on maternity leave with DS2.
I have now been minding for 2 years. It is a big salary decrease, but is ofset by not needing any childcare for DS1 and 2. I mind term time only, and at the moment all my parents are teachers.
I am really happy with my decision to take up childminding and have really enjoyed my experiences with early years. I definately think experience in education (any level) is a great bonus for a career in minding.
Good Luck

igglepiggle
04-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi ! I'm an ex teacher too. I love childminding. It's still alot of work but you have more flexibity and can plan to interests more easily. Also all that paperwork experience'll definitely come in handy ;)
Enjoy and good luck xx

cadm
06-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Im a teacher too...just had my second baby, went part time after my first was born...not going back at all, handed notice in. Done ICP first aid safe guarding, CRB'S sent off just final stages now. Cant wait to be :panic: registered. Was an early years teacher. Loved it but love being home with my family a million times more. Hoping childminding allows me to use the skills Ive developed over last 8 years but also allows me to be with my two gorgeous children. Scary though!!!!lots still to do!