PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Minders - Best Tip!?

Weeze1979
01-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Morning All! Friday today :clapping:

As one of the many pre-reg minders on here, I was wondering what all you pro's would say was your
best tip for childminding!?

It can be ANYTHING at all, anything you would recommend to us newbies!
Paperwork, tools or equipment, how to deal with difficult DH's!! :p
It can be a top 10 if you have loads and can't decide! :cool:

Thankyou in advance.....
Really looking forward to hearing them all! :D

onceinabluemoon
01-04-2011, 08:11 AM
ALWAYS get paid in advance and write into your contract the clause "no payment = no care!"

Don't fall behind with paperwork

Enjoy! :)

JCrakers
01-04-2011, 08:21 AM
1. ALWAYS get paid in advance...no excuses
2. Have rules in place for children to follow in and out the house
3. Don't fall behind with paperwork as it could be a right pain to do it all in one go

My favourite one...
BE STRONG. This is your job not a local charity centre. Dont let anyone take you for granted, or just expect you to drop everything and change your plans last minute. Whether the money you earn pays your bills or is just free money for luxuries.....YOUR IN CHARGE!!

Becky x

Baildon bears
01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Headache tablets:laughing:

snufflepuff
01-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Be strong and firm right from the word go, make it clear that you are the boss and that way they are less likely to walk all over you. (I'm talking about parents here but I suppose the same applies with children!)

Flisspaps
01-04-2011, 10:13 AM
So far I've learned:
Don't fall for sob stories - no pay, no play!
Tidy up as you go along
Get as much prepared as you can the night before (breakfast/lunch trays!)
Prepare to ignore pretty much all of your planning as the children will want to do almost anything other than what you've planned!
Make sure you've got eyes in the back of your head
Keep a camera handy at all times

Tinglesnark
01-04-2011, 10:16 AM
make sure you shower and do your hair the night before....
:laughing:

grindal
01-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Ikea high chairs - £10 each and stackable!
Getting own children dressed before mindees arrive.
Making sure parents put sun tan lotion on mindees in mornings
Waterproof trousers!

miss mopple
01-04-2011, 11:08 AM
What others have said +

Keep track of accounts in a notepad so nothing gets forgotten

Be organised in the hols with car packed/lunches made etc the night before so once the kids are all there you can make a swift exit for trips out

mufftie
01-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Be weary of flexible contracts , ensure a fee for the days they want you to be available not just for time used. As you could end up loosing money if you can't take on another child for those days

cherry
01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Your business, your rules

Pipsqueak
01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Remember this is YOUR business your rules
YOUR home - YOUR rules - do not feel intimidated by clients

get paid in advance
no pay no care
take a non-refundable deposit
(obviously write all this on the actual contract)

start as you mean to go on - stick to your rules - once you know that they aren't going to take the mickey out of you , you can be a little flexible here and there

don't fall for sob stories

value yourself - you are a professional - behave as such

have fun with the kiddies and remember you have the best job in the world

oh and instead of moaning about something and getting upset/irate - deal with it.... if you want to change something - get involved (ie NCMA)

go to groups, regional meetings etc

Twinkles
01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
The most important thing for me has been to ensure I have a great support network ( on here of course ) but also other local minders you can meet up with on a regular basis.

It can be a very lonely job if you don't have these in place.

Pipsqueak
01-04-2011, 12:22 PM
The most important thing for me has been to ensure I have a great support network ( on here of course ) but also other local minders you can meet up with on a regular basis.

It can be a very lonely job if you don't have these in place.

bit like your support tights aren't they babe.... couldn't live with out!:laughing:

hollymonster
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I would also agree to get paid in advance.

Be careful when agreeing terms of contract (especially first one). I was so relieved and excited to be signing contracts with first family that I was way to flexible and heavily discounted older sibling which I really regret.

The Juggler
01-04-2011, 01:23 PM
trust your instincts and your family needs. If a child/family doesn't feel right or they are asking for hours you didn't want to do - DON'T do it :)

Weeze1979
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Ahh these are all fab - thanks very much ladies! :thumbsup:

breezy
01-04-2011, 07:40 PM
learn to say NO!!!!!!!!

Mollymop
01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
I agree with everything that has been said and makes me chuckle... my top tip would be... don't agree to anything you are not comfortable with such as working late hours/early mornings, say no and don't feel bad about it, don't work for friends/family, keep a daily diary, if u get a bad feeling about someone stick to it and stay picky about the famililes you work with! and KEEP UP WITH PAPERWORK!!

Mollymop
01-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry that was my top "TIPS" not tip so hubs pointed out!:D

venus89
01-04-2011, 08:19 PM
All of the above :D

And it's okay to sit down for five minutes with a cuppa. The children will be all right :thumbsup:

Gizmo
01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
1. Get paid in advance
2. Get paid in advance
3. have other cms around you that you can laugh/cry/shout with
4. take a deep breath
5. take another deep breath
6. laugh
7. laugh again
8. is it friday yet !!!!
9. yeah its nearly 6oclock on Friday
10. Yippee pour the wine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Zoomie
01-04-2011, 08:25 PM
My only addition would be to ensure that any paperwork you can do before you are registered is done.

ie RAs, policies, sign up paperwork because when you do start working there is tonnes more paperwork :(

karen48
01-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Have a late fee for collection of child written into the contract and don't feel guilty asking for the late fee. I don't mind when parent are late now because i know i'm earning more money. Also some parents call me to say oh could you drop lo home as i'm running late and i will be there to meet you i say yes the fee is £5 per 1/4 of an hour it takes me to get to you and back to my home. I don't put this in contracts as i don't want to become a taxi service but if they want me to do they have to pay.

one more thing, never become best pals with the parents. I get on really well with all my parents but i never cross that line.

Karen

NI MINDER
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Agree with all the above !!! - Think my biggest is start as you mean to go on and dont ever let myself be taken for a fool (again) and that I can say NO!!

Support is definitely very important as childminding can be very isolating.... I really look forward to mornings when i meet up with other childminders at toddler groups - helps keep me sane!

Cammie Doodle
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
ALL of the above, plus try not to get to snowed under with too many kids (if you can afford not to ) I have done this is in years gone by, but it's so much more enjoyable all round if your not too tired,worn out etc. Work it to suit you and your family and you will reap the benefits . Enjoy :jump for joy:

Hebs
01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
apart from those listed ...

1, if a parent is bad mouthing another childminder, chances are they'll do it to you so be careful!
2, trust your gut instincts
3, put your own needs first, its so hard as you'll think of others first
4, enjoy it

x