PDA

View Full Version : school drop offs and pick ups

nelly
01-04-2011, 06:55 AM
hiya, just wondered what you all do about school drop offs and pick ups. i collect by car and the children i collect are let out of school on there own 9yrs and 8 yrs.would you still get out of car to go fetch them or would let them come to car.there is no road to cross and i would stand by car so they can see me there .mom has said this is o.k but wondered what you all would do
thanks xx

Newbie1!
01-04-2011, 06:59 AM
hiya, just wondered what you all do about school drop offs and pick ups. i collect by car and the children i collect are let out of school on there own 9yrs and 8 yrs.would you still get out of car to go fetch them or would let them come to car.there is no road to cross and i would stand by car so they can see me there .mom has said this is o.k but wondered what you all would do
thanks xx

Ooo a toughie - for me, on the basis I got reported for not supervising children at all times on school run Id say you would have to get out of the car and get them. I had a mum who actually requested something from me but it still was not sufficient as I wasnt safeguarding apparently. I know at my local school a lot of the parents wait in the cars for the older ones and it is common sense really when they are let out alone but I think as CM's we have to protect our backs unfortunately xx

keatingschick
01-04-2011, 07:09 AM
When I did the school run, I would park my car and literally at the opposite side of the very narrow road was the wall overlooking the school door/playground. IF I didnt get the babies out (if they were asleep) I would stand there constantly nipping back to the car until they came out and then I would just cross them over the road and get them all into the car.

You are supposed to be able to see/hear the children and I could, the wall was only a small wall so I could actually see them if I was sat in my car.

Now I have 1 child who comes from the local high school, she walks home with my daughter, but I have a signed permission slip in her file saying that she will walk home by herself AT THE PARENTS REQUEST and that until she is in my home she is NOT my responsibility.

The thing was when she started I still did school run and obviously couldnt be in 2 places at once.

Twinklestars
01-04-2011, 09:36 AM
At my sons school you have to go up to the door to collect them upto year 2, from year 3 they can come out independently and sometimes my friends daughter who is 10 walks on her own to the car and I cross her over (i don't childmind her) but if she was any younger/not as sensible I think I would go right into the school to collect her