PDA

View Full Version : Screamer

munch149
31-03-2011, 05:44 PM
I have just had the most stressful week and its not over yet. My new starter was fine first two weeks she came and now it has all changed. She had a tantrum on Tuesday when she wouldn't wash her hands and she would scream. I tried everything including ignoring it but she just screamed and screamed and there was no end. Then we had a toilet issue (she has bad constipation) so there was more screaming (although not her fault she was in pain). Now she doesn't want to come and screamed with
Mum this morning then on odd occasions throughout the day. I don't know what to do. To top it off another mindee was Ill today so had to deal with that too and this caused other child to scream more as she was getting no attention. I don't have any energy left for tomorrow and my eardrums are fit to burst. Apparently child is playing up home too as angry at parents for leaving her. Any advice please. Oh and she doesn't speak English so I can't talk to her to try and calm her down as she only understands a limited amount. She had a bruise today too which i knew nothing about so she is obviously not seeking comfort from me if she hurts herself anymore
Either which she did in beginning (if she did it when with me that is).

candy cat
31-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Poor you...how about a speech book with words and pictures....do family photos then do happy,sad pain, missing mummy,cross etc etc in pictures.....and be consistant,if it it a behaviour issue then time out,pain or missing mummy then reasurrance. good luck x

munch149
02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Bruise was done at home so that's a relief and have got pictures and things but difficult to use them other than to say I'm happy/ sad decided to put together a reward chart and get parents to explain it to her. Can put smiley faces/ sad faces on that. Friday was just as bad and was panicing as had a visit from a new mum and thought it would look really bad. Luckily her mum picked up just before.

sarah707
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Poor little girl it sounds like she is really struggling with anxiety. Poor you as well I know how hard it can be.

You need some way of communicating with her - signs (simple Makaton to learn together maybe), you learning words in her language, a picture book of things like drinks cup, breadsticks etc.

Maybe parents could stay for a little while to reassure her? See how they want to handle it but be prepared to say she is not settling, it's not fair for either of you to battle on.

Hugs xx